Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums CSS Multiple Pages, 1 CSS File

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 75 total)
  • Author
    hannon33

Hey guys so I am new and learning HTML and CSS now. I am use to incline css but I am building a website which has 5 webpages incorporated into it and I need to use 1 external CSS file to make each of the 5 html pages look different but I am having a hard time figuring out how to do this.. I was hoping you guys can help..

ThankS!

TheDoc

Make sure to give each different template a unique body class:

Then in your CSS you can override default styles *or* add styles specific to a page by going:

.page-name .other-selector { /* styles */ }

.page-name .parent .child { /* styles */ }

Or, if you’re using the wonderful world of SASS/SCSS you can do something like this:

.page-name {

.other-selector { /* styles */ }

.parent p { /* styles */ }

}

hannon33

so if my main page is index.html.. in the source for index.html rather then just doing it would say ?

TheDoc

or

hannon33

ok and what is .other-selector?

TheDoc

That’s just giving you an example of how you would use it in CSS.

hannon33

ok ill try it out.. now if im using a javascript on the same page can i just add the .css for the javascript into the .css for the page?

TheDoc

Yes… although I’m not 100% sure what you’re asking. You should be trying to keep all over your CSS in a single file.

hannon33

when ever i add it seems to cancel out my javascript css..

#smenu {background-color:#ffffff; text-align:center; border:1px solid #000099; z-Index:999; visibility:hidden; position:absolute; top:100px; left:-225px; width:250px;}
    #sleft {width:220px; float:left;}
    #sright {width:20px; float:right;}
    #sright a:link{text-decoration:none; color:#999999; font-weight:bold; font-family:arial, helvetica, sans-serif;}
    #sright a:visited{text-decoration:none; color:#999999; font-weight:bold; font-family:arial, helvetica, sans-serif;}
    #sright a:active{text-decoration:none; color:#999999; font-weight:bold; font-family:arial, helvetica, sans-serif;}
    #sright a:hover{text-decoration:none; color:#999999; font-weight:bold; font-family:arial, helvetica, sans-serif;}

#hovmenu {background-color:#ffffff;border: 1px solid #000000; text-align:center;z-Index:999; visibility:hidden; position:absolute; width:200px;}
    #menu {display:none;}

.index {
    body
    margin-left:auto;
    margin-right:auto;
    width: 400px;
    background: gray;
    }

TheDoc

That’s probably because it’s throwing an error. I don’t know what you’re trying to do with the bottom code there.

It sounds like you really need to take a step back and try learning some CSS basics before jumping into JS.

hannon33

i have this on the site:

Morocco

North Korea

United Kingdom

Guatemala

Argentina

What Are Your Favorite Countries?

and In the css file i am trying to have them centered on the page in Italic.

hannon33

with the bottom code im trying to edit the background color of that page and have the links centered

TheDoc

For starters, if you are listing items like that, you should probably use an unordered list:

If you want the text centered, you could do this with your CSS:

.country-list {
    list-style: none;
    text-align: center;
    }

But like I said, these are *super* basic things that are covered early on in any tutorial on CSS and HTML.

hannon33

im taking an online course.. teacher is a douche bag and never replies to emails so i more or less have to fend for myself to figure this stuff out..

TheDoc

Well that’s no good! This forum is all about learning. Just make sure you don’t get too ahead of yourself!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 75 total)
  • The forum ‘CSS’ is closed to new topics and replies.