Grow your CSS skills. Land your dream job.

Multiple CSS Files for one website.

• # February 5, 2009 at 11:52 pm

Real quick question for ya’ll. I’m a new web designer and was wondering if having multiple CSS files (like 3-5) was common for a regular web site.

Is it? How many is common? When I’m fiddling with designs I often make a css file for the home page, about, contact, etc…

Any advice on this is much appreciated. Thanks!

# February 5, 2009 at 11:57 pm

What you’re suggesting (one for home, contact, etc) is extremely uncommon, if not unheard of.

Some people may have 1-3 CSS files (main, lightbox, ie).

You should never have different CSS files for different pages in the site.

# February 6, 2009 at 12:41 am

1-3 is common then?

I was just wondering. I’m new so I was just making styles for all my pages. Thanks for the your input!

# February 6, 2009 at 1:42 am
    "GreyFox135" wrote:
    1-3 is common then?

I was just wondering. I’m new so I was just making styles for all my pages. Thanks for the your input!

I wouldn’t necessarily say 1-3 is "common". 1 is common.

Your ENTIRE site should essentially be in one stylesheet. Then you’ll have addons like a lightbox download that has a separate CSS file, or sometimes you’ll need a separate stylesheet for ie6.

# February 6, 2009 at 2:36 am

your whole site, every page’s id’s classes should be on the one CSS file.

remember you can re-use Id’d on instance per page or if your going to have more instances of the same thing (I.E. links, all links should look the same) then use classes – style accordingly.

you may have a style sheet for the web page screen, a CSS for Print, A CSS for maybe problematic IE6, if neccissary (hopefully not)

let your coding work for you, don’t over code, it saves time and makes the site look uniform

# February 7, 2009 at 7:29 pm

Thanks for your replies guys! I really appreciate all your input.

You guys are awesome!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

*May or may not contain any actual "CSS" or "Tricks".