Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Back End Moving WordPress from siteA to siteB

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    minuscircus

This may seem like a basic basic question.

I have a rather large website going live in 3 weeks, and I have been working on the website on an alternative URL. Inside here I have created the pages of the website as "pages" etc.

If I copy the theme, export the database from the development URL (siteA) and upload the theme, and import the database into the "live" URL (siteB)- will all the pages from the development URL come across with all the relevant content in the correct place?

I need to know this before I start dropping in the correct copy for the website into the development URL.

I have read:
    http://codex.wordpress.org/Moving_WordPress

But to be honest – I just want verification – as they don’t say it in that article! :?:

cybershot
    Participant

you have to change the addresses in the database also. There are somewhere around 3 places in the database that have the address. You need to find them all. Some of them might be on other pages in the same table. like wp_options have it on a few pages.

minuscircus

yep i understand that – but what i need to know is if i spend a few hours dropping in all the content into siteA and having it 100% perfect, when I migrate across and upload the DB and the theme etc, that the pages will get replicated. I don’t want to waste my time and doubling up on work :-)

Thanks!!!

cybershot
    Participant

The idea is that all the pages exist in the database. So if you upload the database, then yes, they will be there as long as you make sure to change the address in all the right spots. Otherwise you will get a page can not be displayed error.

cybershot
    Participant

why not just password protect the directory and build it live. That way, not one can access it until you are ready and you won’t need to move it. This is something new I am thinking of doing as I have worked with them on localhost also, but have had trouble getting the pages to show. The site normally shows fine but sometimes It’s hard to get the pages to show up.

bonniegomes

I had this question a few weeks back.

http://css-tricks.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=4495

Here’s what I’m doing:

0. create db on live hosting.
    1. upload wordpress to the live hosting in a sub dir like "wp"
    2. turn off search engine access in wordpress.
    3. populate wordpress db with real content.
    4. develop theme.
    5. when ready to go live change the WordPress URL in the General Settings and move the index file to the root.

Again it’s all here towards the end of the thead:

http://css-tricks.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=4495

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • The forum ‘Back End’ is closed to new topics and replies.