Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Other Moving to New York

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

@TheDoc i think it also varies on which company your working for. If your working for Google you would probably get a higher paycheck than if you were working for a small company. So i’m guessing it’s hard to measure. This site says the average salary for web developers is 70,00$ in NY [Salary in NY](http://www.simplyhired.com/a/salary/search/q-web+developer “”)

TheDoc

> sr. front end devs can get around 110-115k over here in LA. @theacefes

Oh definitely. ‘Senior’ and ‘Average’ are two very, *very* different things.

> This site says the average salary for web developers is 70,00$ in NY @Jarolin

You need to realize that those sites are utter bullshit. The best we have are surveys like this one: http://archive.aneventapart.com/alasurvey2011/03.html

Alen
    Participant

I would say average is between $40k and $60k.

But @neilorangepeel said he’s

> …unbelievably good

So… yeah.

:)

chrisburton
    Participant

@Jarolin Are you thinking of Engineers? They get paid about that. However, Treehouse pays very well for web developers and designers. Starting salary is like $80k-$85k. So, I would agree. It depends which company and how valuable you actually are.

Manhattan actually isn’t that bad, price wise. Allison House found a decent sized apartment for less than $2,300 in a safe neighborhood. Below is an article she wrote.

http://middaylatte.com/post/31468514022/apartment-hunting-in-nyc

Jonathand_d

I agree with with what TheDoc had to say, you not in anyway going to get $120.000 it just not going to happen. About the cost of living in NYC. well London and NYC are similar however London has become one of the most expensive cities in Europe!

Jonathand_d

One additional thing to remember health cover. I know you are a young guy and you think I don’t need it. Well you do and if you doing freelance work you going to have to pay for it yourself see there’s no NHS in NYC!

Thanks a million guys for all your advice! I have a ton to plan and do but i’m not deterred, I’ll be sure to post back my progress over the next year or at least blog about it. I think its a subject that could be spoken more about.

chrisburton
    Participant

Yes, be sure to write an article. I, and I’m sure many others, will find it fascinating.

Jonathand_d

Hi yes I would still go for it! However, just a some cash reserve and sort-out the health cover. America is still an amazing country and generally the people are helpful and more open to strangers then in England.

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • The forum ‘Other’ is closed to new topics and replies.