Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Design Movies Website Review

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 65 total)
  • Author
    Senff
    Participant

If you’re visibly involved with piracy (linking to it), you won’t be taken seriously. It’s unprofessional. I wouldn’t visit a site that tries to look professional and good (like your site), but then invalidates all that by having links to illegal content, especially if you mark it as such.

Anonymous
    Inactive

@chrisburton > How do you find success in showing “carefully selected movies”? Think about that. I still find your logic to be a bit distant.

I guess I should explain why I even made the website.

I like watching movies like most people, but sometimes it’s hard finding a great movie to watch. For example, people spend lots of time endlessly browsing for movies on Netflix, Hulu, and other online services. What 5starmovies.io does is list only the movies with the best overall ratings, so people can skip surfing through the low-rated movies and see all the good ones in a single place.
    That way they can quickly decide what movie to watch because the trailer, actors, directors and download sources are there in one place and along with all that, they know the movie has received good ratings so it’s not like they don’t know if the movie is good or not(putting aside personal opinion)

These are some similar websites
    http://agoodmovietowatch.com/
    http://goodmovieslist.com/

@senff: If you’re visibly involved with piracy (linking to it), you won’t be taken seriously. It’s unprofessional. I wouldn’t visit a site that tries to look professional and good (like your site), but then invalidates all that by having links to illegal content, especially if you mark it as such.

That’s the reason why I decided to remove the pirate sources, i mentioned it here.

I think I might remove the pirate sources either way because I don’t want the website to have a bad image. For example, people don’t necessarily think nice thoughts about PirateBay, or any website that hurts companies/people/anything and I am aware that linking to pirate sources will hurt the film industry and so people will think badly about 5starmovies.io, even if they pirate content themselves.
    To put it in short terms: Sending users to bad websites, will make my website bad.

Anonymous
    Inactive

@nkrisc I first check rotten tomatoes and make sure the movie has at least 75% good reviews. Then I check iTunes, Amazon, Netflix, Hulu, Google Play. On most services the movie must have at least 4 stars. If the rotten tomatoes reviews are bellow 75% the movie needs to have 5 stars on most services. If the movie passes the review, I watch it and sometimes write a personal comment about the movie if I’m in the mood.

nixnerd
    Participant

This is a cool idea… although VERY similar to Rotten Tomatoes and Metacritic. I highly suggest you write reviews of the movies to add a more personal element that reflects your style, taste and possibly humor. Could be a really cool site that is very engaging.

Django Unchained is probably the best movie I’ve seen in 2 years. Just throwing that out there. Sooooo entertaining.

Anonymous
    Inactive

@NIX I highly suggest you write reviews of the movies to add a more personal element that reflects your style, taste and possibly humor.

I’ve been trying to get into that but I’m not a very “active” writer. I will try and perfect my writing skills and write longer personal comments and maybe a blog section that @Traq suggested.

Django Unchained is probably the best movie I’ve seen in 2 years. Just throwing that out there. Sooooo entertaining.

Thanks for the suggestion. Definitely looks like a great movie.

nixnerd
    Participant

Thanks for the suggestion. Definitely looks like a great movie.

OMG You haven’t seen it? It’s fantastic. In every way. Maybe my all-time favorite Tarantino flick.

One of my favorite movies of all time is “City of God“. Make sure that one is on there!

Anonymous
    Inactive

“City of God” has great reviews too, I haven’t seen that one either.

It’s tricky finding movies of all genres. I want the list to be mixed and not have all drama movies one after the other. So I have a list full of great drama and action movies but not horror, documentary, or comedy. So if you have any favorites on those genres too let me know. “Django Unchained” and “City of God” are going on the list. Thanks :)

nixnerd
    Participant

As far as documentaries go… it’s not “great” but it’s HIGHLY entertaining. You should check out “How to Make Money Selling Drugs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AxRVhgbVN9o

The interview with Rick Ross ALONE makes this worth while.

Born into Brothels” is probably one of the greatest documentaries ever made.

Many people say it’s played-out. They’re just jaded hipsters though. “Exit Through the Gift Shop” is an OUTSTANDING documentary. Very, very immersing. This movie made rich white people obsessed with Banksy.

Street Thief” is an excellent docu-drama that is totally fake but very fun to watch.

nixnerd
    Participant

Oh no! @Paulie_D can you retrieve my eaten post? I put too many links in it. Sorry.

__
    Participant

I’ve been trying to get into that but I’m not a very “active” writer.

Practice will make it easy.

Senff
    Participant

I hated Django Unchained.

(For reference: I absolutely love Kill Bill, Reservoir Dogs and Death Proof.)

Other “universally considered good” movies I really didn’t like are Pulp Fiction, Lord Of The Rings and The Dark Knight Rises.

Just to give some examples that even though MetaCritic or Rotten Tomatoes (or whichever site, for that matter) defines a movie as “good”, doesn’t mean it actually IS good. Don’t confuse “popular” with “good”. :)

nixnerd
    Participant

Funny you should say that @Senff. I JUST re-watched Kill Bill about two weeks ago. I grew up on all things ninjas/samurai and have seen pretty much every Sergio Leone spaghetti western in existence.

Not to mention… I have a strange fascination with Tokyo and used to love Wu-Tang.

All that to say… Kill Bill is not as good as I remember.

See… this is where opinions come into play big time.

nixnerd
    Participant

Other “universally considered good” movies I really didn’t like are…

To this end, here are a few I think are over-rated:

1. Winter’s Bone
    2. Beasts of the Southern Wild
    3. Her (Only slightly over-rated… raises interesting questions)
    Senff
    Participant

Excellent point. To be honest, maybe I wouldn’t like Kill Bill as much either if I were to watch them again now. I do remember that when I did see it, it jumped to #1 on my list of all time favorite movies.

Sometimes you just want the memory of watching a favorite movie. For a long time, A Clockwork Orange was the greatest movie I’ve ever seen. But I’ve seen it only once, and I never watched it again cause I was scared that watching it a second time, I might not like it as much, and that it would disappoint me.

So yea… it’s all personal.

nixnerd
    Participant

I made that exact mistake with Kill Bill. Maybe it wouldn’t be the same for everyone. I’m sure some people still love Kill Bill. But… it just wasn’t the same. The worst part: I hyped it up SO MUCH to my wife. She’s not going to watch one of “my movies” for a while now…

The anime scene was still awesome though and I don’t even really like anime.

The Matrix has lost a TINY bit of it’s shine… but not much. It almost looks like it could have been made last year, save for a few tiny details. I just watched that a few weeks ago too.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 65 total)
  • The forum ‘Design’ is closed to new topics and replies.