Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums CSS Modular CSS

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    AntonNiklasson
    Participant

Hey guys,

I’ve been thinking about my way of organizing CSS. Is there anyone using some kind of “modular” css? Like header.css or typography.css? Right now I’ve got everything in style.css, which gets confusing from time to time.

Thanks!

I use a singular stylesheet but separate components in that stylesheet such as typography, base styles, header, content, footer.

AntonNiklasson
    Participant

Okay. Yeah I’ve used reset files and grids. But I’m thinking about going all the way and create multiple stylesheets like header.css, main.css, footer.css and so on.

Do you guys see this as something inconvenient, or something really useful and more “clean”?

TheDoc

Definitely no way I would use multiple stylesheets like that. I’d go crazy opening them all up.

AntonNiklasson
    Participant

Aah okey. It was just a thought, guess it’s to much work editing them :)

+1 to what @TheDoc said. It’s much quicker using CTRL+F to find the section I need than to have to tab between documents.

Dreamdealer

@AntonNiklasson: you could also consider creating “sections” in your CSS file by using comment lines to group styles. See an example and explanation in this article: http://dreamdealer.nl/articles/organizing_your_css.html

jamygolden

You could also use something like Sublime Text 2. It has a little map of the document on the right which could help you keep track of where you are. I pretty much have my fingers on CTRL + F, like @joshuanhibbert said.

@jamy_za Sublime Text 2 is amazing. I have just started using it and am completely sold on it.

AntonNiklasson
    Participant

Yeah, I’m currently using comments to create sections. Just wanted to know how you guys do it.

It would be kinda fun to hear about some alternative way of writing CSS though, is there anyone out there using some other technique?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • The forum ‘CSS’ is closed to new topics and replies.