Grow your CSS skills. Land your dream job.

mobile resolutions

• # December 14, 2012 at 4:47 am

hi,

i would like to ask something about this: http://css-tricks.com/nine-ways-to-improve-user-experience-in-mobile-design/

so non retina display have 320*480 / 480*320 on landscape mode

in the tutorial mentioned above you said = (Answer: 320px by 414px.)

i downloaded the picture and checked in photoshop, isnt the visible height in browsers is 356px? because of the header and footer panel of the browser, unfortunately i dont have any kind of smartphone to test this.

these header and footer panels in browser are same size in landscape mode also? so ill need to calculate 320-header+footer size in order to display all the content w/o scrollbars.

# December 14, 2012 at 6:57 am

Frankly, if you are trying to squeeze all your content into a 320px tall screen to avoid scrollbars then you may have a tough time.

IMO, mobile users (re smartphones) don’t worry about scrolling up and down…they expect it. As long they don’t have to scroll horizontally to view the content is much more of an issue.

# December 14, 2012 at 7:16 am

okay i see

# December 14, 2012 at 7:20 am

Of course, it will all depend on your design and my statement is nothing more than my opinion and others my differ.

# December 14, 2012 at 7:38 am

Personally I think @Paulie_D is right, ultimately a standard website is going to be almost impossible to squeeze into a mobile screen and I don’t think you have to.

Mobile users only alternative for non responsive sites is a site where they have to double tap to zoom and scroll vertically and horizontally, then zoom back out again etc for navigating around.

Responsive sites cure the zooming in and out problem and should cure the horizontal scrolling so they only have to scroll up and down, which in my opinion they’re more than comfortable doing.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

*May or may not contain any actual "CSS" or "Tricks".