Grow your CSS skills. Land your dream job.

Minimalistic web design – How to.. Best practices.. Pro’s and cons..

• # April 6, 2013 at 5:02 am

I’ll have to write up a response tomorrow as it’s 5am here. Plus, some of your questions are broad and not so “simple” to answer which takes a considerable amount of thought. I hope that’s okay?

Furthermore, refering back to video’s – In your opinion would having an immage on the homepage of my minimalistic website detract from the minimalism and perhaps cause the page to become crowded and therefore no longer minimal?

Absolutely not, however, the image should compliment the design.

# April 6, 2013 at 5:28 am

Not a problem, thanks for your help!

# April 6, 2013 at 8:05 pm

As I know very little about typography I have one simple qestion for you, what makes a great typeface?

I generally look for legibility, unique and beautiful characteristics of the letterforms, features (small caps, discretionary ligatures, webfont version). That question doesn’t result in a right or wrong answer as it will always be based on someone else’s opinion. If you have a more specific question, I’d be happy to answer.

I read a quote somewhere that really hits the spot.

“Every typeface, like every human face, has its own character.”

# April 6, 2013 at 8:19 pm

Personally I’m not a fan of the graphs that show what you are proficient in unless it’s specifically a resume type site for your own personal qualifications. If the site is for people who would want to hire you for projects, all that stuff is Greek at best.

Try and focus on the results. Clear, easy to read language to help someone completely understand what you do paired with some visual idea of what you can deliver is the basis of what a potential client is looking for.

# April 6, 2013 at 8:21 pm

I agree with Josh, 100%.

# February 10, 2014 at 5:54 pm

Hi, Adam,

Lots of templates seem to include infographics like your example. As an old-timer, I can tell you that unless the data is critical to the content, such graphics detract rather than add to the sense of your competence, professionalism, and believability.

The architect Louis Sullivan famously said “form follows function.” In web design, that means “design follows content.” The basic questions are: Who is the target audience for your site? Why do they want to go there, and what do they hope to accomplish? What do you want them to do when they go there? What do you want to communicate about yourself through the design? How can you design your site so that it fulfills their needs and also leads them to do what you want?

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

*May or may not contain any actual "CSS" or "Tricks".