Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums CSS Minimalistic web design – How to.. Best practices.. Pro’s and cons..

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    chrisburton
    Participant

I’ll have to write up a response tomorrow as it’s 5am here. Plus, some of your questions are broad and not so “simple” to answer which takes a considerable amount of thought. I hope that’s okay?

Furthermore, refering back to video’s – In your opinion would having an immage on the homepage of my minimalistic website detract from the minimalism and perhaps cause the page to become crowded and therefore no longer minimal?

Absolutely not, however, the image should compliment the design.

Not a problem, thanks for your help!

chrisburton
    Participant

As I know very little about typography I have one simple qestion for you, what makes a great typeface?

I generally look for legibility, unique and beautiful characteristics of the letterforms, features (small caps, discretionary ligatures, webfont version). That question doesn’t result in a right or wrong answer as it will always be based on someone else’s opinion. If you have a more specific question, I’d be happy to answer.

I read a quote somewhere that really hits the spot.

“Every typeface, like every human face, has its own character.”

chrisburton
    Participant

I agree with Josh, 100%.

wahhabb
    Participant

Hi, Adam,

Lots of templates seem to include infographics like your example. As an old-timer, I can tell you that unless the data is critical to the content, such graphics detract rather than add to the sense of your competence, professionalism, and believability.

The architect Louis Sullivan famously said “form follows function.” In web design, that means “design follows content.” The basic questions are: Who is the target audience for your site? Why do they want to go there, and what do they hope to accomplish? What do you want them to do when they go there? What do you want to communicate about yourself through the design? How can you design your site so that it fulfills their needs and also leads them to do what you want?

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • The forum ‘CSS’ is closed to new topics and replies.