Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Design Meta Tags for Web Resume Homepage

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Jimmy
    Participant

Hey guys,

I have been reading almost every post that i can get my hands on from this site. Everything is so helpful! I have a quick question regarding the nature and use of <meta tags> for a personal web page.

What tags should be used nowadays? Definitely the “content-type” tag seems to be used pretty consistently. I feel like most sources say not to use the “keywords” tag because Google ignores this. What about the others such as “viewport”, “author”, “description”, and “robots”.

First post on CSS-tricks! =P

__
    Participant

Content-Type is essential, but should be sent as an HTTP header. Your server should be* configured to do this automatically. In your markup, it’s a good idea to include a charset meta tag:

<meta charset=UTF-8>

* “should be” in both senses of the phrase: someone should have already done it, and if not, someone should go do it now.

description and robots are useful. Everything else is a waste of time unless you actually have a specific reason/need for it (facebook’s open graph, for example).

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • The forum ‘Design’ is closed to new topics and replies.