Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Other Marking up blog post listing ( title and excerpts, not full content) with OL [WordPress]

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    macharborguy
    Participant

Quick question, mostly about the semantics and also just general opinion, as well as any negatives, if it is a passable idea to use Ordered Lists (OL) to mark up the main post listings on a WordPress site. These listings are just the title, maybe some meta data as to when it was posted, and the short excerpt.

I like the idea of using an ordered list, as the posts ARE in order (reverse chronologically), but with it having a title, date posted, by which author and the excerpt, that it may be a little heavy for just an OL list. Personally, i prefer using the list semantics over standard divs, but that may just be me. I do wonder though what effect it would have on SEO, if any.

Alen
    Participant

macharborguy
Participant

Not really what I was asking for. But I would like to point out, in your example, the starting OL tag should be after the IF statement, but before the WHILE statement, otherwise you will have an OL-LI pair for each news post.

Was more or less looking for opinions on if using OL in this instance would be viable. I know it is valid markup, but I am unsure of any other side-effects.

Alen
Participant

@macharborguy, good catch I was writing it fast for you… edited the `

` out…

I would never use list items for posts. It’s not a list, it’s a list of posts, that may or may not be related… so `article` tag would be better

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • The forum ‘Other’ is closed to new topics and replies.