Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums CSS Margin-top pushing overlay down

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    fooman
    Participant

Hi!
    I think this may be a fairly common/newbish question but I’ve never found a decent answer I can understand without reading 10 pages of posts.

I have a single container that has a margin-top of 10px. Easy enough.
    I have an overlay container that will act as a modal overlay that covers the entire screen. It’s fixed 100% of the screen.

Why does the margin on the first element push everything down?
    [The Pen!](http://codepen.io/anon/pen/yweaF “The Pen!”)

Paulie_D

You seem to have identified the problem. Can you not just remove the margin-top?

In most cases, what is really required is padding…not margin.

Paulie_D

The element by itself is irrelevant. Put padding on the content of the element and you’ll get what you want….probably.

wolfcry911
    Participant

The margin on .first-element is actually sticking out of the parent (body in this case). This is normal and correct behavior. Normally you can stop it from doing so with a top margin or top padding on the parent, or overflow: hidden; on the parent – giving it a new formatting context which gives the element’s top margin something to ‘push’ against. In this case the overflow method won’t work – unless you also give html overflow: hidden; (body and html can sometimes behave differently than a block level parent element). A simple fix is to give .overlay top: 0;

wolfcry911
    Participant

Just a note: In the third sentence, I meant to state top border or top padding on the parent element, not top margin…

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • The forum ‘CSS’ is closed to new topics and replies.