Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Other Managing large number of psds

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    theacefes

Hey all!

Had a question that I would love your opinion on. At work we manage a very large website that is constantly being developed. We have mockups for every page and it has gotten to the point that with any design change there is a chance that a large amount of mockups will have to be updated (ie: a footer change).

It’s becoming tedious and time consuming but the mockups are essential to our front end and QA processes. It’s not possible to consolidate all the mockups without killing Photoshop on file open.

My question : is there a good system to handle this or is it pretty much a “get a graphic design grunt to handle it” solution?

thanks!!

ooredroxoo

I would suggest use layer comps, so one PSD could have many mockups for the same website, and updating the content or appearance of one layer would be a breeze.

If you can’t do this you aways can put in version control (but will be heavy).

ONE LAST THING
    On photoshop you have a resource called SmartObject, so you may have a PSD only for the footer, and by changing this PSD all you have to do is update the smart object on Photoshop. (SmartObjects can be used to place PNGs, GIFs and other image files inside Photoshop allowing to modularize your PSD Files (DRY Photoshop =) )).

spiralclick

>

I would suggest use layer comps, so one PSD could have many mockups for the same website, and updating the content or appearance of one layer would be a breeze.

If you can’t do this you aways can put in version control (but will be heavy).

ONE LAST THING On photoshop you have a resource called SmartObject, so you may have a PSD only for the footer, and by changing this PSD all you have to do is update the smart object on Photoshop. (SmartObjects can be used to place PNGs, GIFs and other image files inside Photoshop allowing to modularize your PSD Files (DRY Photoshop =) )).
    >
    This is the best solution… +1

theacefes

Thanks a ton, I think that will work.

ooredroxoo

Hey @theacefes, today I found this service -> https://layervault.com/tour, they manage PSDs with version control with ease, maybe you could have some use of this.

Cheers.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • The forum ‘Other’ is closed to new topics and replies.