Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums CSS Making website text smooth

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

This website itself has smooth text. The text on my website looks a little crispy. How exactly does one make the text smooth? i’ve used CSS font-smoothing but that doesn’t do anything.

chrisburton
    Participant

What webfonts are you using?

Anonymous
    Inactive

@chrisburton Sans-Serif, Arial, and a Google web-font called Oleo Script Swash Caps

chrisburton
    Participant

@Jarolin Well, you shouldn’t be having issues with Arial so I’m assuming Oleo Script?

chrisburton
    Participant

@Krish1980 While `font-smoothing` only works on Macs, `optimizeLegibility` has nothing to do with anti-aliasing. It enables OT features. I’m betting this has to do with a poor font choice for screen use.

chrisburton
    Participant

PS and Fireworks have four different settings that render type. Browsers don’t have this option. There are many causes for a font not to render well in the browser. This can be anything from the type designer choosing to auto–hint (manual hinting is a long and tedious process) which usually causes the font to look poor, more noticeably in small sizes (you see this a lot with GWF). Different font files can cause this as well (TrueType vs PostScript). Chrome also has a bug not rendering anti-aliasing correctly. So there’s not always one “thing” at fault.

chrisburton
    Participant

@cwork Can you post screenshots (PS vs Browser)?

chrisburton
    Participant

Some kerning pairs are quite horrible.

Anonymous
    Inactive

The fonts appear pixelated and choppy. I’m thinking a very small text-shadow would do something.

CrocoDillon
    Participant

I’ve tried the text-shadow trick as ‘faux anti-aliasing’, maybe it works for you but I didn’t like the result at all.

chrisburton
    Participant

@Jarolin Link? And you said “fonts”, does that mean you’re having issues with Arial too?

Anonymous
    Inactive

Yes all of the fonts look choppy. The “Harol” looks choppy and so does every other text.
    [link](http://reallycoolstuff.net/PROJECTS/harol/index.html “”)
    Any solutions?

Anonymous
    Inactive

Still looking for a solution if anyone could help.

chrisburton
    Participant

Oops, I forgot about this discussion. The reason the script appears choppy is because you are using it at small sizes. It’s a display face which are usually not optimized for this use. I also don’t see Arial being used but rather Pontano Sans. Pontano Sans is also a display face and even though the designer states you can use it for text type, it clearly doesn’t render well.

Anonymous
    Inactive

@chrisburton you’re right. I switched pentano-sans to arial and it’s not choppy at all. I guess ill just have to choose my fonts better. Thanks.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • The forum ‘CSS’ is closed to new topics and replies.