Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums CSS Main wrapper sits behind fixed header.

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    inlmbrt
    Participant

Hello everyone,

I’ve been battling with what seems a small problem. I have a header wrapper, a main wrapper and a footer wrapper. My header wrapper is a fixed div.
    I’m trying to get my main wrapper to obey the margin rules of the header wrapper, but no matter what I do it always seems to fall behind the header and aligns to the top of the page.

If you have a look at http://www.inlmbrt.com/profile/ you will see what I mean.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. :)

Paulie_D

Try taking the #header-container itself out of your #container.

You might need to center (margin:0 auto) that but it should work.

BTW…is there a reason why you WANT to fix your header…is that page going to be that long/tall that it needs to be visible at all times?

Paulie_D

>You can try `padding-top: 101px;` on #main_container

A ‘fix’…not a solution. IMO

wolfcry911
    Participant

What you need is a top margin on the main wrapper equal to the height of the header wrapper. The problem is that this margin will extend outside of the main container. There are a couple of ways to prevent that. One is to add overflow: hidden to #container which changes its block formatting context and the children’s margin will be contained within the parent. Another option is to use a top padding or top border on the #container – either of which will again cause the children’s margin to be contained within the parent (rather than extending beyond, which is correct default behavior).

wolfcry911
    Participant

why is the padding (which is even easier than the margin I explained above, but the OP mentioned margin) a fix and not a solution?

Paulie_D

@wolfcry Because there’s an expressed number in there. If the header changes height then the padding / margin will have to change.

Of course, I still wonder WHY the header needs to be fixed.

Paulie_D

That said, I do realise that top padding on whatever content container is going to be required…isn’t it?

I confess that my experience with position:fixed is limited.

yeeyang
    Participant

Hrm… if you were using SASS/SCSS then you could set the header height to a variable and then put the variable into both the fixed positioned header and its parent div.

inlmbrt
    Participant

Really appreciate the input! :)

@Paulie_D
    – I love fixed headers and have planned one on my personal site for a while now. I’ve never understood how to correctly go about creating one though.

@CrocoDillon
    – I’ve specified a height for my header (60px). With top and bottom padding padding it equals 100px high. I’ve added a 120px top padding to my #main_container. Do you think that this is will be an effective way to do it? I’ve specified a height variable for the header. Will this prevent minor inconsistencies between browsers?

If you take a look here http://www.inlmbrt.com/profile/ you will see what I’ve done.

Thanks again guys.

inlmbrt
    Participant

I’ve tested it in a number of browsers and it seems to be consistent. Hope this does it! :]

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • The forum ‘CSS’ is closed to new topics and replies.