Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums JavaScript Magic Line Navigation Help

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    mpicerno

I implemented the Magic Line Navigation I found online: https://css-tricks.com/examples/MagicLine/
    and it works on mac and pc – but some ie versions the navigation is aligning vertically instead of horizontally. Do I need to give the nav bar a minimum width? less padding? do I need a JavaScript hack?

http://meredithpicerno.com/complexions/index.html

Any help would be great –

mpicerno

Hi Mottie,

Thank you for the tips – when i add the conditional html statements i get 3 errors when i validate my page in dreamweaver:
    1. the tag “html” is not allowed within: “head” it is only allowed in [xhtml 1.0 transitional]
    2. the tag “html” doesn’t have an attribute “class” in currently active versions [xhtml 1.0 transitional]
    3. the attribute xml:lang is required when using the attribute lang in xhtml [xhtml 1.0 transitional]

Should I be concerned with these messages?

Thank you again!!!

mpicerno

Hi Mottie – thank you for the tips – i added the html conditional statements after the however, when i validate my page in dreamweaver, i get the following errors:

the tag “html” is not allowed within: head it is only allowed within [xhtml 1.0 transitional]
    the tag “html” doesn’t have an attribute: “class” in currently active versions [xhtml 1.0 transitional]
    the attribute xml: lang is required when using the attribute lang in [xhtml 1.0 transitional]

and this section of my html code is highlighted:

should i be concerned with these errors??
    thank you!

mpicerno

Hi Mottie –
    okay, i pasted the code above the head tag like this:

but i’m still getting 2 of the same errors:

the tag “html” doesn’t have an attribute: “class” in currently active versions [xhtml 1.0 transitional]
    the attribute xml: lang is required when using the attribute lang in [xhtml 1.0 transitional]

should i be concerned??

thank you!

chrisburton
    Participant

Conditional statements go inside the head section.

If you’re going to use script tags this way

you might as well switch out your current doctype with an HTML5 doctype. That would clean up most of the errors, otherwise you will have to add

type="text/javascript"
    mpicerno

Thank you Christopher – here’s the example I pulled from css-tricks.com:

jQuery MagicLine Navigation Demo

the conditional statements are both above the head tag and below it – any thoughts?

chrisburton
    Participant

Well, I’m not too familiar with this actually. The conditional statements seem to be incase javascript is turned off so it looks to be correct. Have you tried switching doctypes?

mpicerno

okay – this is my latest attempt to add the conditional statements to my document:

I only get one error message in dreamweaver related to this:

and other errors related to the javascript:

the errors read for each script:
    in tag: script the following attributes are missing: [xhtml 1.0 transitional]

Mottie – can you give me some help??? Thank you!!

chrisburton
    Participant

Question, why are you determined to stick with xhtml? Also, don’t rely on dreamweaver all the time.

chrisburton
    Participant

Yep, I believe I commented on that in my first post to this discussion.

Validating your pages can significantly reflect on SEO performance, just an fyi.

mpicerno

Thank you all for your help!!!

Yotis

Hello Could someone help’m pretty novice at this, I would love for knowing That Should change it so That When You click on a bar room, stay there and not return to That left by default, ie Left click to give where I clicked acerca , ie the origin is where I am sailing, Which is not a default and always go back to That, but it again in the section of the bar where I clicked ….

jenda

Hello,

I would like to use the MagicLine. But on my first page there is no item in the navigation for the first page. How can I define the start position of the MagicLine without the start item on this first page?

Currently there is defined as start item the tag li with class “first”.

Thank you. Jenda

Suzumi

Hello,
    can someone help me? I wanted to integrate the magicline in my page but it doesn’t work with the newer version of jquery (1.9.1). What do I have to change that it works?

Thank you!
    Suzumi

Suzumi

must have been another error. it works now.
    Thank you

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • The forum ‘JavaScript’ is closed to new topics and replies.