Grow your CSS skills. Land your dream job.

Mac programs for developers?

• # December 4, 2008 at 6:56 pm

Hello, I am new MAC user and I have been looking for some free programs to use for when I do websites.

On my windows PC I use Photoshop, Frontpage, and Dreamweaver with SmartFTP for file uploads.
    Is there any programs you would recommend?

# December 5, 2008 at 11:32 am

Well, the Mac obviously has Photoshop and Dreamweaver if you want to keep using those.

Pixelmator is a very good Photoshop alternative – not quite as powerful, but FAR cheaper (I think only $60 or so?) and it integrates with OS X much better. For stylesheets, CSSEdit is amazing – about $40 I think and there’s nothing quite like it on Windows.

Smultron and Taco HTML Edit are both decent HTML editors. Smultron is free and handles a bunch of different languages. Taco is about $20 but is geared towards HTML specifically.

Cyberduck is a very good free FTP utility. Check out Transmit if you’re looking for something more advanced.

There’s also Coda for "one-window web development" – edit HTML/CSS/etc., preview live and upload to FTP all within the same app.

You might also want to check out RapidWeaver – it’s a visual editor where you pick a theme you want for your site, then fill in the content. You can get an entire site up extremely quickly with it, but at the same time it’s also very flexible so you can change quite a bit with the built-in themes.

Sorry I don’t have links – Google any of these with "Mac" and you’ll find them within the first few results.

No shortage of options, that’s for sure…:lol:

# December 16, 2008 at 2:35 pm

cool, thanks ill be sure to check some of those out.

# December 21, 2008 at 2:07 pm

I use Cyberduck for FTP and TextWrangler for editing, both free and pretty good

# December 23, 2008 at 1:25 am

I use Coda and Adobe’s Creative Suite, mainly just Photoshop, and Illustrator. I have used Dreamweaver but just prefer the "polished Mac type" program that Coda is.

I also use MAMP for local development before I set up a little local web server using a old Dell PC I had laying around.

Don’t forget Firefox with Firebug and Web Developer plug ins.

# December 25, 2008 at 10:40 pm

I definitely recommend coda any day, I found through the screen-casts here, and am not disappointed!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

*May or may not contain any actual "CSS" or "Tricks".