Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums CSS Looking for advice to display options with long text to the users

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    marianico2
    Participant

I’m new at this forum, i hope lear a lot of all you.

Well, I have a form that occupies a div with span6 class (I’m using twitter-bootstrap framework). Inside contains a selectbox in which I load rows from a database. The problem is that in some cases the text of these rows are too long, and then the selectbox does not look right, therefore is not a convenient method for the user to choose the desired option.

The maximun and minimun length of the data loaded are:

Min – 6 characters:

XXXXXX

Max – 92 characters:

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

So my question is:
    How do you organize all these information so to be most comfortable to choose for the users?

Do you recommend any plugin in particular? Maybe modifying one that has *twitter-bootstrap* incorporated.

I would appreciate any advice or tip.
    Thanks in advance.

Paulie_D

A **Select Box** with 92 characters seems excessive.

Is there anything you can do to change that before we get into the nitty-gritty?

Eric

Here are all possible ways to break long strings of text http://www.websitecodetutorials.com/code/css/wrap-text-long-strings-of-text.php

Paulie_D

I’ve tried the basic options in CSS and most of them fail on the [option] element.

You can try

select, option {
    max-width: insert your value here;
    }

which will cut of the text after the value is reached BUT this is pretty much only FF supported for BOTH.

It works on the [select] element OK but not for the [option] in Chrome, Safari, IE10.

marianico2
    Participant

I’m afraid I can’t reduce the length of the information. And the count of elements loaded is between 1 to 5. And the size of the form will be fixed. Some ideas?

Alen
    Participant

What about using radio buttons or check boxes instead? Text will just flow naturally to the next line.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • The forum ‘CSS’ is closed to new topics and replies.