Grow your CSS skills. Land your dream job.

Looking for a WordPress Homepage solution

• # November 8, 2010 at 2:21 am

Hi everyone!

I’ve been wondering lately and lightly poking around (without much success) to find a good solution for a wordpress driven homepage – specifically in creating “editable” areas that still maintains the look and feel of a diverse information hub, but has a clearly laid out way to edit each piece in the admin panel. I know Joomla’s user1,2,3 etc is used in this way, but all I’ve seen so far is people use different posts and include them on the page. Is that really the best method? Or would you do several pages included on the homepage?

Or is there something altogether better?

# November 8, 2010 at 3:01 am

How about an ‘Options Panel‘ to edit the home page?

# November 8, 2010 at 7:26 am

In the past, I’ve created a special page template for just the homepage. (Then you publish a page called “Homepage” and pick that template, then under Settings > Reading, declare that as the homepage)

Inside that template, declare a bunch of widgetized areas that are essentially only for the homepage. Then you can use widgets in these areas as the “editable areas”. Widgets can be just simple text widgets, in which you can put anything, so the sky is the limit.

# November 8, 2010 at 11:38 am

Hmmm really interesting and I’d have to say an awesome idea. I’ve definitely used widgets before and put HTML into them, but I never thought about just adding them all over a page.

Have you used a setup where a client end user was using it? My only worry is that if you ever used HTML or added images or something, they may not have an easy time editing, but then again if I’m using a static page, they can’t edit it anyway :)

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

*May or may not contain any actual "CSS" or "Tricks".