Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Back End Looking for a WordPress Homepage solution

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    JoshWhite

Hi everyone!

I’ve been wondering lately and lightly poking around (without much success) to find a good solution for a wordpress driven homepage – specifically in creating “editable” areas that still maintains the look and feel of a diverse information hub, but has a clearly laid out way to edit each piece in the admin panel. I know Joomla’s user1,2,3 etc is used in this way, but all I’ve seen so far is people use different posts and include them on the page. Is that really the best method? Or would you do several pages included on the homepage?

Or is there something altogether better?

jamygolden

How about an ‘Options Panel‘ to edit the home page?

Chris Coyier
    Keymaster

In the past, I’ve created a special page template for just the homepage. (Then you publish a page called “Homepage” and pick that template, then under Settings > Reading, declare that as the homepage)

Inside that template, declare a bunch of widgetized areas that are essentially only for the homepage. Then you can use widgets in these areas as the “editable areas”. Widgets can be just simple text widgets, in which you can put anything, so the sky is the limit.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • The forum ‘Back End’ is closed to new topics and replies.