Grow your CSS skills. Land your dream job.

line height problems

• # April 1, 2013 at 12:20 pm

Hello;

I am trying to test some line heights and for some reason, it is not working. I even went to the extreme of setting to 1px and it is not working. I have included a link with the css insiude the html for easier reading and any help would greatly be appreciated.

http://www.pepelepew1962.x10.mx/corners.html

# April 1, 2013 at 12:57 pm

Perhaps you could define what the ‘problems’ are.

# April 1, 2013 at 12:59 pm

Ok, from what I understand, line height is the distance from the top of 1 line to the top of the next line. With a line height of 1px, the text should practically be overwriting itself. Or ???

# April 1, 2013 at 1:07 pm

The line height can’t affect the actual height of the text…just the space around it….usually.

Again, my question is…what is the problem?

# April 1, 2013 at 1:23 pm

The problem is I need to drink more to understand this. Is this true … 2 lines of text, same 16px, with a line height of 1px would practically overwrite themselves?

As for my problem … I want the “XXX” part to be large, say H1 size, with the “TITLE” smaller, say h3, but tucked underneath with very little line space between them. I could make an image and add it to the page if my explanation sux.

# April 1, 2013 at 1:23 pm

@pepe_lepew, `line-height` defines the distance between multiple lines.. see http://codepen.io/ChrisPlz/pen/ecmiq

Your sample was working properly, each line is only 1pt as you defined, but when you only have 1 line, it doesn’t do much.

**Edit**: you could accomplish what you’re after by using a negative bottom margin on the `h1` tag.

# April 1, 2013 at 3:07 pm

Okay, that makes sense … I needed more text to show it was working properly. I guess the problem is more the distance between paragraphs in this case. I have a temp fix that I can at least play with. THANK YOU !!!

# April 1, 2013 at 9:33 pm

Also, a good practice is a line height of x1.5 so a font-size of 20px should get a line-height of:

20 * 1.5 = 30px

Here’s a cheat sheet for common paragraph font sizes:

**font-size / line-height (in pixels):**

10 / 15

12 / 18

14 / 21

16 / 24

18 / 27

I should mention that those line-heights are sometimes +/- 1px … sometimes, depending on the font, a 14px font will look good with 20 instead of 21, or 22 instead of 21. You’ll have to experiment.

Hope that helps.

# April 1, 2013 at 9:45 pm

Keep in mind, creating a fixed line-height of 1.5x the font-size won’t always look appropriate. It is more visual than set with calculation.

@ChrisP

> Edit: you could accomplish what you’re after by using a negative bottom margin on the h1 tag.

Or set a smaller line-height to the h1.

# April 1, 2013 at 10:00 pm

@chrisburton is correct. You’d have to specify line-height for elements that were always going to be the same font size. You couldn’t do, say:

body {line-height: 24px;}

because if you did, you’d be incorrectly spacing all the lines whose font sizes weren’t 16px (per my little cheat sheet) and that would be silly.

p.main {line-height: 24px;}
    p.footer {line-height: 15px;}
    p.blockquote {line-height-21px;}

Something like that ^ would be better. Would you agree @chrisburton?

# April 1, 2013 at 10:24 pm

It depends on how the font renders, honestly. I couldn’t exactly say with your example unless I have a visual reference.

Plus, some people use 1.4x the font-size, some use 1.8x. It all depends visually. And I’m not a firm believer when it comes to baseline grids on the web.

# April 1, 2013 at 10:30 pm

> I should mention that those line-heights are sometimes +/- 1px … sometimes, depending on the font, a 14px font will look good with 20 instead of 21, or 22 instead of 21. You’ll have to experiment.

Yes, I agree.

# April 2, 2013 at 9:36 am

@chrisburton, true, but I guess it really depends on the look he’s going for, because setting a lower line-height on the h1 tag also moves the h1 tag higher up the page.

Test case: http://codepen.io/ChrisPlz/pen/gJnht

# April 2, 2013 at 11:22 am

Which you can, in return, use a positive margin to bring it back down. Doesn’t negative margins cause inconsistencies in some browsers?

# April 2, 2013 at 12:05 pm

No browser inconsistencies that I’m aware of..but I could be wrong

http://coding.smashingmagazine.com/2009/07/27/the-definitive-guide-to-using-negative-margins/

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

*May or may not contain any actual "CSS" or "Tricks".