Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums CSS li.current

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    uberjo

(Perhaps I should first put forward that I am more a designer than a programmer— although I was pretty adept on my ZX81 back in the day…)

I have created a site where the <li> menu loads .html pages into an iframe.
    Accordingly, the entire site is contained on one "home.html") page.

I have styled the <li> links so that I have:
    #Nav ul
    #Nav ul li
    #Nav ul li a
    #Nav ul li a:link; #Nav ul li a:visited
    #Nav ul li a:hover

So far, everything is looking good.
    NOW, I’m trying to add code so that I have a "current" state defined. This way, the user can visually see what they have clicked on and what has subsequently been loaded into the ‘iframe’.

Is it possible to define a .current state when using ‘iframes’ … because in home.html I can’t define any of the <li> tags as <current>…?

Any ideas?
    THANKS

uberjo

Thanks for getting back to me on this:

Um, I’m not really sure what jQuery is. I gather I don’t need to know if I just cut and paste the code.
    BUt then, where (and how) do I define what the style is for "current" ?

Would an a:focus work? I tried to fiddle with a:active and a:focus but only got it to work in FF and not in Safari.

koewnet

Is there any particular reason you would need to use iframes? I’m mostly concerned about the accessibility, and it’s also not good for SEO nor usability. There’s an old article about it on 456Bereastreet.com.

uberjo

I know frames have their problems but I thought inline frame (iframes) were less cumbersome.
    I’m trying to create a really simple site. Clearly, I am not chosing the best option.

Perhaps you have a better suggestion than my iframe solution?

I’ve posted it here:
    http://joellecraven.ca/iframes/main.html
    I didn’t upload the .mov file but you hit the links on the side menu, an html page (containing only an .mov) loads on the left side (the iframe)

I really appreciate the posts helping me out.

koewnet
    Quote:
    I’m trying to create a really simple site. Clearly, I am not chosing the best option.

You want a really simple site? Drop the iframes. I’ve never been on a site with iframes that wasn’t tricky to use (read/view and so on…), that’s also why I’m trying to stay away from them.

uberjo

uh – and just load separate html pages for each link.
    I guess I could do that…
    I just liked the iframes keeping it all contained.
    But clearly you have strong anti- iframe experience

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • The forum ‘CSS’ is closed to new topics and replies.