Grow your CSS skills. Land your dream job.

[Solved] Lets Learn SASS together.

• # May 16, 2012 at 6:44 pm

@jamy_za Ha, there we go! I’m generally alright using GitHub for Mac, but I’d be hopeless using the command line.

# May 16, 2012 at 8:06 pm

I’d like to learn Git too, good version control is vital on a CV
    Any know any good tutorials?

# May 17, 2012 at 12:46 pm

Didn’t Chris do a let’s suck at Github together? :) I’d join that conversation – I’d love to have something in place that didn’t rely on subversion.

Sigh… one more thing to add to the pile. I still need to sit down and dedicate some time to learning javascript/jquery. I continually feel like what I’m doing right now is probably the most inefficient way to do it that exists :)

# May 20, 2012 at 12:01 am

So, like I said, I planned on going back to Mac because CodeKit has no Windows version. However, I looked a little further ahead and noticed that with Compass.app, I got all I need.

No Ruby needed, no other funky stuff it seems. Took me a couple of hours to figure out which is what and what is where, but now I think I got it down.

I’ll write up a blog post about this later this weekend, in case people want to give it a shot.

# May 20, 2012 at 4:52 pm

Hey guys….so from experience, I know about the learning curve and threshold that SASS may have for Windows users. A couple of times I wanted to start with SASS and once I saw Ruby and command line and whatnot, I gave up already. Not sure if that’s just me or a general PC user problem.

But, I kept going and I’m a happy SASSer now, thanks to Compass.app, so if you’re on Windows and you need to get things going, check out my (hopefully) helpful 5-step instructions: http://www.senff.com/front-end/coding-tips/getting-started-with-sass-on-windows-the-easy-way/

# May 20, 2012 at 6:17 pm

@Senff Honestly, having a Ruby dependency is why I shied away from SASS.

I looked into LESS, which has a very similar format, and it just uses javascript to parse the LESS into true css – with some online sites to do it for you (I shared the links above). I know it won’t work if the user turns off javascript, but as I said, it’s so similar to SASS that you could convert it without too much effort.

# May 20, 2012 at 9:51 pm

@Mottie : that’s the point of my article — there is no Ruby dependency for the user at all! With Compass.app, it’s amazingly simple.

(Well, under the hood it’s Ruby, but you won’t have to deal with it.)

I did look into LESS but it came with a few too many things where I was put off (“The easiest way to install LESS on the server, is via npm, the node package manager” is one of them! I don’t want to deal with NPMs. Ha!)

Anyways, I’ve chosen SASS as my weapon of choice for the time being, glad to see that Chris’ “SASS vs LESS” article favors it too.

# April 23, 2013 at 11:08 am

-moz-border-radius-bottomleft:5px;
    -moz-border-radius-bottomright:5px;

@mixin rounded_symmetrical($vert, $radius: 10px) {
    border-#{$vert}-left-radius: $radius;
    border-#{$vert}-right-radius: $radius;
    -moz-border-radius-#{$vert}left: $radius;
    -moz-border-radius-#{$vert}right: $radius;
    -webkit-border-#{$vert}-left-radius: $radius;
    -webkit-border-#{$vert}-right-radius: $radius;
    }

.user-settings { @include rounded_symmetrical(bottom, 5px); }

# April 23, 2013 at 12:40 pm

awesome, nice stuff everyone.

@Senff, thank you for your article, and I think it’s a good tutorial on getting up and running quickly! I don’t think Sass is that hard to get running on Windows with Ruby, though. You can use the Rails Installer. It will install everything you need, and to get Sass running you just have to run a few commands, and that’s all.

an alternative to Compass is Bourbon

it even has a layout system, similar to Susy called Neat

# April 23, 2013 at 12:43 pm

Just a follow up on my previous post: still using SCSS. It’s completely changed how I write CSS. I use generally use Compass through the Terminal (don’t use Codekit, stopped using LiveReload). We’ve even built it into our basic framework.

# April 23, 2013 at 12:44 pm

here is good mixin for rem/px fallback

https://github.com/bitmanic/rem

if you’re using Susy, you need to change the mixin name to rems, since susy has a mixin named rem already though it isn’t used the same way.

# February 19, 2014 at 7:23 am

With regards the Gradient Mixin and ie9 support, if you make use of the boilerplate-based html-classes for ie, you can include support directly in the mixin with a.ie9 & {filter:none;}.

Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

*May or may not contain any actual "CSS" or "Tricks".