Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums CSS Last paragraph read

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    chrisburton
    Participant

Is it me or does anyone else half-read articles from being sidetracked? Even really interesting articles that you plan to read later but you don’t exactly have the time to read it in full at the current moment.

What if there was a way that the page remembers the last paragraph read by each time you scroll? Somehow every scroll gets recorded so the next time you visit it jumps to the number of times last scrolled. I assume cookies would be involved here.

How would you go about getting the last read paragraph (not looking for demos, just a vague thought process)?

unasAquila
    Participant

I think that localstorage would be a great use-case here.

Alen
    Participant

This would be rather annoying.

What if the user scrolls past the last paragraph read, just to skim over the content. Later when the user returns, where should you position your page?

What if the user needs to reread some of the content so that it makes more sense?

Returning user after 2 weeks, will he/she remember where they left off? Are you going to make them scroll up?

Generally scrolling down is accepted. Unless we’re talking about really long form, then I might see a use out of it. From the programming perspective it would be cool to develop, but from the real world use example… it’s useless IMO.

TOC would be a better solution.

chrisburton
    Participant

@AlenAbdula

> What if the user scrolls past the last paragraph read, just to skim over the content. Later when the user returns, where should you position your page?

When scrolling, the paragraph could fade in a message to bookmark that spot with a click function.

> Returning user after 2 weeks, will he/she remember where they left off? Are you going to make them scroll up?

There could be a time limit set so that the users session is deleted?

> TOC would be a better solution.

I agree. Just a random thought I had today.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • The forum ‘CSS’ is closed to new topics and replies.