Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums CSS Keep Parent Item Active when Child Element is Current Page – CSS/WordPress

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Jeremy Englert
    Participant

I would like to have the parent page stay “active” when the current page is any of the children elements. For example, while on the “Back Story” page, I would like the navigation element “About” to stay highlighted/active.

Here is the page/website:
    http://bit.ly/M91Jj7

Here is the navigation on CodePen (but it’s a bit harder to work with in my opinion because you can’t actually visit the child pages to test it):
    http://codepen.io/JeremyEnglert/pen/rtFbA

What do I need to with the CSS to make that happen?

Thanks everyone!

ChrisxClash

Wordpress adds the super helpful selectors that do that for you. Try doing this:

.current_page_parent {
    // parent styling here
    }

.current_page_item {
    // child styling here
    }

This should work for any page that you’re on.

Edit: After looking at your css, it looks like you’re actually already using those selectors, however you’re not coloring their backgrounds, only the text. So if you use those along with background it might help out?

wolfcry911
    Participant

try this:

#main-nav .current_page_item a {
    background: red;
    }
    zardos

Useually you just uese the .current-page-ancestor class on the menu item li.current-page-ancestor and style it the same as .current_page_item
    /R

wolfcry911
    Participant
    #main-nav .current_page_parent a {
    background: red;
    }

What to note here is that the background is on the anchor – not the li; and that it needs a high specificity (it needs the id in the descendant selector) to override the default background

wolfcry911
    Participant

check my code above – it works in my testing
    it looks for the current_page_parent (not current_page_item).

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • The forum ‘CSS’ is closed to new topics and replies.