Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums CSS Just trying to understand CSS divs

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Garuda

I am visiting this site:
    http://matthewjamestaylor.com/blog/ulti … pixels.htm

And there are colored outlines for each DIV under this heading
    "The nested div structure

I’ve colour coded each div so it’s easy to see:"

Is it just me or are the names of the DIVs very screwy, left is call right, right is called left??
    Also why are there so many DIVs actign as wraps for the left and right col divs?

I just get confused when I see something like this, any help would be appreciated. Thanks

dag

I agree with box: The code must be as economical as possible.
    Generally must never use tags unnecessary.

Chris Coyier
    Keymaster

Yeah I can see how that would be confusing. That’s what we’ve began calling "divitus" where people just put way too many useless divs into the markup. In that image, I see no real use for the colmask, colwrap, or col1wrap. Sometimes there is a reason to wrap a div inside another div, but they present no compelling reason for it there.

It’s extra confusing how they call the div on the left "right" and the div on the right "left". That’s the sting of using descriptive text like that for class names, it comes to bite you. Much better to call it "main-content" and "sidebar", so whether that sidebar is on the left or right, it’s name still makes sense.

Garuda

So I’m not that crazy afterall, whew!

Thanks yall, I greatly appreciate it. and Chris, you rock dude!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • The forum ‘CSS’ is closed to new topics and replies.