Grow your CSS skills. Land your dream job.

jQuery .show() from center of element?

• # July 15, 2013 at 12:14 am

Is there a proper method when using jQuery **.show()** to display the element from its center as apposed to the default top/left?

There is a way to accomplish this using the “scale” property of the jQuery UI library, but it seems a bit overkill to rely on that for something so simple. Also I’m aware this can be achieved using a css3 animation + transform scale… but I’m solely interested in a standard jQuery method. If anyone could shed some light on this matter, I would much appreciate it. Thanks!

**jQuery UI example:**

http://jsfiddle.net/r9aeb/

# July 15, 2013 at 5:30 am

It’s actually not really “simple” for javascript to create that effect. You’d have to add a wrapper with the same dimensions as the item you want to animate with position relative.
    Add position absolute to the target element, and set the height/width to be 0 and start animating that up, while repositioning it each time it increases in height/size.

It’s not something that everyone wants to do by default which is why it’s not in the jQuery base library.

Edit: To answer your question. There isn’t a simple way of doing that (since it’s a relatively complex animation) without either writing it yourself or including some library like jQueryUI to do it for you.

# July 15, 2013 at 9:24 am

I’m assuming you mean position the div in the middle? If so:

Click Here for an example using jQuery.

jQuery.fn.center = function () {

this.css("position","absolute");
    this.css("top", Math.max(0, (($(window).height()
    - $(this).outerHeight()) / 2) +
    $(window).scrollTop()) + "px");
    this.css("left", Math.max(0, (($(window).width()
    - $(this).outerWidth()) / 2) +
    $(window).scrollLeft()) + "px");
    return this;
    }

$('.box').center();

$(window).resize(function() {
    $('.box').center();
    });

$('.box').show("scale", 1000
    ,function() {
    // Do something...
    }
    );

PS, instead of using window, you can use any div to center absolutely to.

# July 15, 2013 at 4:04 pm

Thanks for the suggestions!

@jamy_za

You clarified exactly what I was curious about… thanks

@jamesMD

Your solution is nice, but tackles a problem different than mine… anyways, thanks for the effort

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

*May or may not contain any actual "CSS" or "Tricks".