Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums JavaScript jQuery powered full screen gallery?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    noahgelman
    Participant

I’ve been asked if it was possible to create a full screen jQuery slider. By full screen, I mean the whole display, not just inside the browser window. I know flash can do this but I’d like to know if jQuery can. If you’re not entirely sure what I’m talking about here’s an example of full screen:

http://www.bluecanvas.com/kidchuckle/

Click on the "Fullscreen" button on the slider. See what I mean? Full screen display. I just don’t know if jQuery has the same power.

Chris Coyier
    Keymaster

Nope. JavaScript can’t do anything outside of the browser window. The only possibility I could think of is forcing a new blank window open, on top, and of the size of the display. But then you have the popup blockers fighting you potentially.

noahgelman
    Participant

I see, that’s a bit unfortunate. How is it flash has the power to do that?

you can always have the gallery go full window and ask the user to enter full screen, since now every browser but safari has fullscreen on every OS

noahgelman
    Participant

Hmm….. What about forcing a key action? If on click, I can replicate the pressing of F11, then it’ll make the browser full screen, and then when clicking the close button, it forces F11 again moving it back to whatever size the user had it.

Is that possible? I’m not sure because forcing a keystroke sounds like it could be misused by a lot of people if they chain it into a series of forced keystrokes. Anyone have an opinion?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • The forum ‘JavaScript’ is closed to new topics and replies.