Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums JavaScript jquery and WordPress

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    jezepi

Hi.
    I have been trying to get jquery to work on my custom worpdress theme and i cant get it to work..
    I know you have to use the wp_enqueue_script() to call the jquery library and to replace the $()”, with jQuery() .

Im trying to get an image slider to show some of my work on and it just wont work..

Anyone have any ideas? Or any good sites with info/tutorials on?

Thanks,

Joe

I usually just stick my scripts in header.php. wp_enqueue_script is too fiddly.

Code:
    Rob MacKay
    Participant

dave does it my way…. lol

Kenneth

Maybe i’m wrong but as far as i know jQuery is already "included" bij WordPress so it’s already declared.

I had problems with a slider jquery library. And I solved it by putting the wp_enqueue_script in the header just before wp_head and the script itself just below wp_head.

I have no idea why but that was the only way i got it working

Rob MacKay
    Participant

yup a recent lib version is included, although im not sure if you need to add it to your head or if its done for you :)

jezepi

Hi..
    Thanks you for getting back to me..
    Ill keep trying and let you know if the above works!

apostrophe
    Participant

I always use the google hosted version of jQuery.

Here is a screencast about building a jQuery slider into WordPress http://blog.themeforest.net/wordpress/wordpress-for-designers-day-15/

WebDojo

I had a problem getting a smooth scroll effect using jQuery to work, and eventually found a fix that worked:

Code:
    jQuery.noConflict();

// Put all your code in your document ready area
    jQuery(document).ready(function($){
    // Do jQuery stuff using $

$.localScroll();
    $.localScroll.hash()

});

Whereas $.localScroll() and $.localScroll.hash() activate the scrolly effect everywhere on the page.

However I think .noConflict() can cause some conflicts with other libraries with $ object models, so be careful! If someone could enlighten me to why that is or if there’s a better way than .noConflict(), let me know at http://twitter.com/WebDojo.

So in the end I used a plugin called HeadSpace to include my localScroll and scrollTo files, and a last file I named smooth-scroll-activate.js that included the code you see above.

And voila! Drunken pirate coding.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • The forum ‘JavaScript’ is closed to new topics and replies.