Grow your CSS skills. Land your dream job.

jonleesmith.co.uk

• # September 10, 2009 at 3:46 pm

Hi Everyone Im Jon from Bristol UK Been using css-tricks for a resource for info for a few months. Just wanted to show everyone my site http://jonleesmith.co.uk and was hoping you guys would check it out. Ive written php for my own version of a simple blogging platform. Has a login page where i can post new topics and a commenting area for all that visit. Hoping you guys could check it out and let me know wat you think. good or bad will be appreciated. Cheers – Jon

# September 11, 2009 at 2:46 am

welcome…..

ok had a look at your front page there.

I can see why you highlighted your wee play on words to highlight you can do websites…… but really its distracting, as you should be saying it outright.
    it is just a bland page!!!

it is ok spaced, and also wastes some space……

sorry dude, it just seems rushed and bland

# September 11, 2009 at 1:33 pm

I have to agree.

There is something to be said for minimal design. But intentional minimalism is a science and an art and still seems to remain stylish. The pages just feel… lacking.

One thing to note on a few of the other pages is: the contact page… you need to put a form on it, or make your email a mailto. If you are going to bother putting your email on the page for spambots to find it, you might as well not make it frustrating and non-clickable.

The blog page also has tons of misspellings on it, which really hurts your credibility. Easy fixed by a spell-checker plugin (assuming you’re using a platform that supports it) or just use firefox which has built in spell-checking.

# September 11, 2009 at 2:28 pm

I could’nt agree more.

Could you check patchwaybaptist.com

and

patchwaybaptist.com/newsite

and give me some pointers about the new site

Cheers

Jon

# September 11, 2009 at 4:54 pm

I would add more padding to the right black block.
    There are too many different fonts for this empt-like design
    I would try to work on a better styling for your logo, maybe trying to add more style to the J, L and S, this should make a difference and give your website a more personal atmosphere

# September 12, 2009 at 4:56 am

dude, it just looks like the same bland page the only thing I quickly see is, its been moved about.

give some colours/style to it. Add more content fill it up a bit.

as said earlier, minimalist look is ok, for a site with more content.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

*May or may not contain any actual "CSS" or "Tricks".