Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums JavaScript Jerky Animation

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Athelstan
    Participant

Hi All

This is my first attempt at using JQuery (thanks Chris for the tutorials that helped).

Everything that I have done seems to work but sometimes the animated image is very jerky; even when viewing it from local files. Is bad coding or the image size causing it?

Here is my test page
    http://iandelemare.justfree.com/helinor/demo.html

Any suggestions/help would be very useful.

Thanks in advance
    Regards

Athelstan

Rob MacKay
    Participant

try putting the animation inside:

Code:
    $(window).load(function() {

// your animation

});

It might work better after the window has fully loaded everything, otherwise the browser is fighting for resources – and jquery(javascript) is all handled locally…

Athelstan
    Participant

Thank you Robskiwarrior for your input. I have tried your suggestion but it hasn’t made any difference. I hope Iadded the window.load in the correct place!

The updated file (flyby.js) is now on the test site

Regards

Rob MacKay
    Participant

You put it in the perfect place.

I would say then it’s just down to speed of computer. On this PC it’s hardly jerky at all, in FF and Chrome it runs really smooth – this PC is pretty old now (about 4 years) and wasn’t too hot when it was put together… (father inlaws PC lol)

One of the issues with javascript is that it is very user dependant – as it depends on system resources to load the animation. This is getting less as people’s machines get better and browsers get more efficient at handling JS.

So for me – it’s running smooth. :) It might just be one of those "things"

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • The forum ‘JavaScript’ is closed to new topics and replies.