Grow your CSS skills. Land your dream job.

javascript problems

• # April 19, 2008 at 4:58 pm

Hey guys,

Lately I’ve been working on a mobile start page for my Nintendo DS. It worked fine when I had just three items–Gmail, AIM and a quick URL bar–but as soon as I added a few more things it broke, and I have no idea why. It might not even be the javascript, for all I know. I have just been looking at these pages for far too long and need another set of eyes.

All the styling and script is in the page itself, so don’t worry about finding it.

.V1
    # April 20, 2008 at 12:47 pm

U are tying to access an element that doesnt exist.

when u click on an item u get the error:

document.getElementById("bookmarksframe") has no properties
    [Break on this error] var Bookmarksdiv = document.getElementById(‘bookmarksframe’).style;

delete them out of your codes and it would work , i think ;)

# April 20, 2008 at 10:44 pm

Yep I think it’s a problem with the exact names of the ID’s you are trying to reference. See the firebug screenshot:

[img]http://css-tricks.com/forum-pics/javascripterrors.png[/img]

It looks like maybe the ID you are trying to target is "bookmarkstab" and not "bookmarksframe"?

# April 21, 2008 at 3:04 am

Well, I did a find/replace for bookmarksframe/bookmarkstab, and that made it work, except it also got rid of the button for it. And it seems the URL button doesn’t work at all anymore?

The problem here is that I really am just no good at javascript at all.

.V1
    # April 21, 2008 at 7:17 am

Install firebug… http://www.getfirebug.com (enable firebug for this website) , reload, check the errors. debug.

# April 22, 2008 at 6:32 am

Unfortunately I use Firefox 3b5. I guess I could install it on Virtual PC, though.

.V1
    # April 23, 2008 at 3:44 am

same here. install the 1.1 Beta version of firebug, it will work.

only activate it when u need it. else it will crash FF biggies. especially on gmail o.o

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

*May or may not contain any actual "CSS" or "Tricks".