Grow your CSS skills. Land your dream job.

Italicized fallback

• # November 26, 2012 at 10:26 am

> On my standard install W7 machine…I only have Georgia and not GI is not listed as a ‘separate’ font.

How odd, my W7 machine has Georgia Italic already. I checked to make sure and it was added in 2009, that pre-dates this machine by three years.

If it is part of the font ‘stack’ installed on your machine, it should work, as that is how mine is displayed too.

OK I thought I had found the solution, but apparently not. Back to the drawing board. =[

# November 26, 2012 at 10:27 am

@Paulie_D

Go to Computer > C: > Windows > Fonts > Georgia > You will see the list that includes Italic

Screenshot

# November 26, 2012 at 10:30 am

So it does….the things you learn everyday.

:)

# November 26, 2012 at 10:33 am

> So it does….the things you learn everyday.

So have I solved this? Because my W7 and W8 machines have Georgia Italic as ‘Georgia Italic’ and my MacBook has it under ‘GeorgiaItalic’.

A quick look, XP has it pre-installed too as Georgia Italic.

# November 26, 2012 at 10:34 am

@alexmccabe No. You need to use the following CSS for it to work

body {
    font-family: “GeorgiaItalic”, “Georgia Italic”;
    }

# November 26, 2012 at 10:40 am

@chrisburton I tried that on my machine and it doesn’t work without declaring it as font-face. [This pen](http://codepen.io/alexmccabe/pen/Aytgk “this pen”) works though

# November 26, 2012 at 10:40 am

@alexmccabe Not for me it doesn’t. However, if you set the font-style to normal, it does. You could probably just remove it altogether

# November 26, 2012 at 10:42 am

@chrisburton, what OS are you using?

I guess you could combine both. So the font stack could look like this;

font-family: pigeon, ‘MyGeorgiaItalic’, ‘Georgia Italic’, GeorgiaItalic, Georgia, serif;

# November 26, 2012 at 10:43 am

W7

# November 26, 2012 at 10:59 am

@christburton [Does it work now?](http://codepen.io/alexmccabe/pen/Aytgk “does it work”)

# November 26, 2012 at 11:14 am

@alexmccabe It works.

jmc
    # November 26, 2012 at 11:56 am

It has worked for me as well. Thank you so much to everyone who helped solve this!

# November 26, 2012 at 3:17 pm

OK, so I got home and had a chance to test this further on my MacBook. It only works in Firefox. The other browsers just display the non-italicised version. Damn, I thought we had it. Anyway if that is not a huge issue for you, then you are welcome. Haha.

Viewing 13 posts - 16 through 28 (of 28 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

*May or may not contain any actual "CSS" or "Tricks".