Grow your CSS skills. Land your dream job.

Is Version Control System helpful for a one web developer ?

• # December 22, 2008 at 6:58 am

Is Version Control System helpful for a one web developer ? i do all the things. so is it beneficial for one person ?

Rob
    # December 22, 2008 at 9:23 am

I would say no, if you are the only one changing the files then there is no need to control the versions. The only think I can think that could be possibly useful is a version history. But then I don’t know what benifit that would have, other than perhaps an educational one.

# November 28, 2012 at 5:11 pm

how about using it for saving specific milestones so you can go back to them, without having an impressive array of files and being able to log descrptions to specific such files.

# November 28, 2012 at 5:51 pm

I use version control for two reasons: easy syncing between various computers (when I’m at work or at home, I will have the latest updates of my own code) and being able to roll back changes when I make a mistake and I need to go back to what it was yesterday, or a few days ago. Although admittedly, I haven’t been in a situation where I actually needed to roll back, but it’s nice to know I CAN if I really have to.

Other than that…..hmmmm, if you only work on one computer and you don’t care for being able to go back in time, I don’t see any other use for version control.

# November 28, 2012 at 6:01 pm

I think version control is still important. I’ve rolled back things many times when realizing that I’ve taken a couple of wrong steps, etc.

# November 28, 2012 at 6:06 pm

YES!

# November 28, 2012 at 6:10 pm

Considering this thread is nearly *four years old*, I’m sure @Robskiwarrior has a changed opinion!

# November 28, 2012 at 7:53 pm

Holy crap, I didn’t even notice that!

I stand by my words though. ;)

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

*May or may not contain any actual "CSS" or "Tricks".