Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Other Is custom font solutions advisable to use ?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    jitendra
    Participant

If i use sIFR , FLIR or same type of solutions on my sites for a main content text for all pages which comes in a <p> text here </P>. is it advisable to use those custom fonts solutions for a whole site’s paragraph. actually i want to use a font that not comes in default Windows , MAC installation.

JRGould

I wouldn’t do it. I definitely wouldn’t recommend it with the image-replacement techniques like flir or cufon because you lose the ability to select and interact with that text – and then I wouldn’t do it with sifr because it would REALLY slow things down.

Also, if you really think about it – there’s not a great reason to use crazy fonts in the body text – If you’re using something really stylistic, you’re going to reduce legibility – and if you just want to use univers as opposed to helvetica, it’s more trouble than it’s worth to be absolutely sure that your font will render on all platforms – you and your designer friends are the only ones who will notice.

A good solution is just to take your time and create a great stack – there’s no reason to not use Univers, or Hoefler text, or whatever font on the web – just as long as you understand that it will not be available to many users – so you make a good stack that covers everybody.

Take a look at this article on sitepoint: http://www.sitepoint.com/article/eight- … nt-stacks/
    I really like using variations of their helvetica/arial stack.

jitendra
    Participant

JRGould

Thx for quick and informative reply.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • The forum ‘Other’ is closed to new topics and replies.