Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Other iPhone VS Android

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    jamygolden

I’ve used an iPhone and android before, but I’m definitely not familiar with either. What would you say the positives and negatives of the one VS the other are?

I know I could Google, but I want to know your (Web developer/designers) opinions.

davidlab.be
    Participant

Where do you live and what network are you on? at&t or verizon?

jamygolden

Neither, I’m from South Africa.

fjorko

lol @jamy_za ;-)

Johnnyb

Hey Jamy, are you talking about the positives/negatives of owning one or developing for one?

chrisburton
    Participant

@Jamy_za, How about what can one do that the other cannot?

jamygolden

Lol, it looks like I didn’t explain myself properly. I want to own one for personal use but I want to know what the positives/negatives are from a developers (web savvy person) point of view.

chrisburton
    Participant

I ran into this issue when I first was shopping for a blackberry. Everyone told me to get one even though Android just hit the market because the platform was new and it wasn’t worth the gamble. iPhone was a no-no since AT&T sucks and I have Verizon. Now, I feel it was all personal opinion and wish I never had purchased a Blackberry in the first place. People will tell you to go play with one and see which you like. I think that would be ok if you were testing how it felt in your hands but actually using it day to day is so much different than playing with it at a store. So until you actually use one for a few days will most likely determine your preference. Now I’m stuck with Blackberry and its infamous messenger.

Johnnyb

The company I work for does its fair share of mobile development and so we have a bunch of smartphones around the office for testing purposes, and after using all of them several times I still much, much prefer the iPhone (although the Windows 7 phone is kinda nice too apart from its IE7 browser). It does depend on which Android phone you buy however, as certain models are far superior to others, but on the whole it just feels like everything on the iPhone is so well thought out, it all works so well, everything is just so slick. It does suck that it’s only available with 3G at the moment though, not so speedy loading webpages on the go. I have friends/family who have decent android devices, and they love them, until I let them play on my iPhone.

Just my 2 cents!

chrisburton
    Participant

@eric, on what network?

davidlab.be
    Participant

@eric….FALSE. Verizon has fixed the issue with their new LTE 4G network and please don’t compair at&t 4g to Verizons 4g. They are not even close! At&t is what is called a bandaid 4g…another words they improved on what they have and made it faster so they call it 4g. Verizon new LTE is a complete new technology that has speeds that are jaw dropping and there is plenty of proven data to show it….and yes it is not everywhere but they are making a huge push to bring it everywhere.

jamygolden

Thanks for the input guys.

chrisburton
    Participant

@Eric, springlab did not say the iPhone had multitasking capability. He stated that Verizon’s 4G network has fixed an issue where voice/data can be used at the same time. It is true that AT&T’s 4G is actually a faster version of their 3G.

davidlab.be
    Participant

@eric…even the iphone 5 will NOT have 4g capability. Yes…no 4g for the new iphone that is do out this summer. The new LTE chip and components are larger then the veteran 3g components….thus the new phones are slightly thicker, but still not that big of an issue for what you get in return. In time they will shrink in size like when 3g first came out. Not sure the reason why Apple will not be going to 4g…some say they don’t want to make a larger phone when Apple tries to make everything slimmer, thinner and pretty. Others say it is Apple finally confronting the fact they are competing against a fleet of competition (using open source) that work hard to stay on the cutting edge with new phones being released every week it seems. Apple’s seo even announced towards the end of last year that they would not be able to stay up with android and at rate is is growing…thanks to open source. Apple is a great product, but they fault in the fact that they keep everything close lid. Everything has to go through them….for everything! iphone and android are great products as it just depends on what you want. Also keep in mind dual core is coming (even the iphone 5) and this will be changing the playing field for developers as they can really show off their talents.
    One phone that you might want to keep an eye on is the Motorola Droid Bionic do out by summer. Will have dual core and has the ability to hook into your laptop so you can run it on you laptop…. awesome! It was scheduled to be released on the verizon LTE 4g network this month, but has been delayed as rumor is they want to improve on the phone they showed at the Vegas show (which was the show stopper as was)….so only one can imagine what they have coming.
    Pick your phone…use it ….love it….they all do what you want.

chrisburton
    Participant

Is the iPhone 5 not 4G capable rumor specs or official specs? The last I knew, the iPhone 5 will have 4G capability and that Steve Jobs is upset with networks for not getting their act together when it comes to distributing 4G so the iPhone 5 basically won’t receive bad reviews on speed, etc. That might also be why Apple is investing in the networks 4G to hurry and produce nationwide coverage.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • The forum ‘Other’ is closed to new topics and replies.