Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Other Iphone development

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    creative

Just a question, I had a guy to do an Iphone app, now he tells me, as he is finishing that the codes has changed, and wants to charge me another $700 dollars. How true is that? I always think as a coder, you must code so that past versions do not come fully obsolete. Please let me know how true that may be.

Thanks,

Watson90

I suppose the developer doesn’t have to code for past versions etc, there is no written law, however it’s just good practice and is what makes a good developer better from the rest. Was there any final contract you signed that can stop you from paying this charge such as a final list of requirements. Or was this just a random project?

creative

This guy is writing the app from scratch. It has taken him about two months to finish it, but now that is almost finished (he has to test it, and we bought a developer account with Apple), now he says that Apple changed the codex, therefore he must charge more to make sure it works fully. We gave him a list of requirements, which did not change, and we only pay him half for the app, once he finishes he gets the rest, but now he wants more to finish it. How does that sound?

Thanks,

Paulie_D

It depends on your contract. If you agreed that it would work under a certain version of the IOS then that’s all he is required to do.

Look at it this way.

You app works with IOS x.0 and he finishes the work and you sign off.

If he delivers the app fully functional is IOS x.0 he’s fulfilled the contract.

The next day, Apple releases IOS x.5 and your app no longer works….is that the developers fault?

Nope, you would have to pay someone to re-do the app.

If you didn’t anticipate Apple releasing a new IOS and didn’t build it into your agreement…that’s your problem.

creative

Paulie, you are right. We ask of him to get the app working with Iphone, we did not say to make sure it works with future Iphones, we did not say that in the contract. Usually when I code a website, I do not sign off a website that will work with IE14 (which does not exist yet). BUT I code valid code so that in theory it should work to the best of our abilities.

We began the project about 2 months ago, there is not new Iphone yet, so in theory it should work in every Iphone for today. Right?

The question though, did something change from two months ago to today that requires us to pay him more to roll it out? Or is he BS-ing us?

Thanks,

Paulie_D

Those are the questions you should be asking him.

It’s not a question of a new device, it’s a new operating system. If a new OS has rolled out and your previous version doesn’t work then it will have to be updated.

creative

Ok, has the OS changed? Is there a new one? So far, what i know is that there will be a new OS with the new Iphone no? In the two months did something get updated drastically?

Paulie_D

Again, these are questions you should be putting to your developer or just look it up on google.

I did: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IOS_version_history

creative

One quick question. The Iphone app access the RSS website in WordPress. Does the developer for the App says he needs developer access to the website, is that needed?

Paulie_D

If he says he does, why do you not believe him?

creative

He changed the price out of the blue moon, he quoted us certain amount, then changed his mind close to the end. This is why I am a bit concerned.

Thanks,

TheDoc

I’d be pissed off if a developer slapped me with a $700 tax at the end of a project. To be honest, it doesn’t sound particularly good to me, but I have no idea how the project has gone thus far, what the contract looks like (if there even is one) and what the developer’s new constraints are.

creative

TheDoc, it was $700, you were right!

Paulie_D

If I was the developer, I would deliver what you asked me to…the app in the IOS version you asked for and slap my invoice on the table and demand payment.

If you don’t pay me for delivering EXACTLY what you asked for then I ‘d sue.

creative

I agree with you. But when more than half of the game, the player changes their wages, even though it was agreed, then, you know.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • The forum ‘Other’ is closed to new topics and replies.