Grow your CSS skills. Land your dream job.

iPhone App Development

• # September 15, 2010 at 6:44 pm

I would love to get into App Development, but at heart I’m just not a programmer.

Preferably, I don’t want to go to school and bet a Bachelor in Computer Science. That is time and money that I can’t commit, especially already having a full time web development job. What I would love to do is take a credible online course (there are no local programs in the area to teach me exactly what I need). Does anyone know of such a thing?

Does anyone build apps for the iPhone? How did you start out?

Cheers!

# September 17, 2010 at 1:18 am

I haven’t heard of any online courses.

I wouldn’t really know where to get started, but I would definitely check out mobiletuts if you haven’t yet.

# September 18, 2010 at 4:35 am

I always wanted to get started on this, but haven’t really had the time or patience to learn, even with a background in C++.

However, on iTunes U there are a few courses, like the Stanford University one, that give you an introduction to iPhone development. I had all of the source code for that at one point and can have a dig around for it if you want me to

# September 18, 2010 at 4:38 am

Thanks guys.

I actually subscribed to the Stanford iTunes U stuff. It’s amazing. I’ve started with the intro programming course and will be doing all three of the programming courses they offer. Then, once I feel confident with all three of those, I’ll venture into the iPhone App Dev course.

Huge props to Stanford for doing this. Definitely temporarily calling myself a Stanford student!

# September 19, 2010 at 7:06 am

Hi I dont know if this is of any help but have you tried the book “begining iPhone Development” by Dave Mark and Jeff LaMarche published by apress? It walks you through a lot of different tutorials and has helped me no end I also subscribed to mobiletuts which is a great source of inspiration

# September 19, 2010 at 5:24 pm

From what I’ve heard, this is the best: http://appdevmanual.com/

# December 29, 2011 at 5:48 am

I’ve been following the Objective-C and iPhone Development tutorials on The New Boston and have made one or two working apps.
    I tried the Stanford iTunes U, but some things the guy did didn’t seem to produce the same result (most iPhone dev tuts out there are older than iOS 5, which has made many changes.
    I also found that along with thenewboston, looking stuff up in the Apple Developers’ portal I get all the stuff that has been update.

# December 29, 2011 at 10:51 am

I’ve started iPhone app development earlier this year, and I’ve tried a handful of courses/books. Every time I started out enthusiastically, but it wouldn’t take long before I would be completely frustrated.

The main reason is that it’s simply difficult and confusing. Objective-C is not an easy language, and developing apps is not just something to do “on the side”; I really think it’s something you have to spend a LOT of time on.

Appress’ “Beginning iPhone Development” is a great book, but my version covers Xcode 3, whereas my Mac has Xcode 4. A difference enough to confuse me greatly, so always make sure your course material and your development environment are working with the same version of Xcode and iOS!

There’s some other books I’ve tried but once they would go into specific Objective-C stuff, and I still didn’t understand what they were saying even after reading it 57 times, I went crying to my mom.

I haven’t tried the Standford one, but that’s next on my list.

IN THE MEANTIME….. I would recommend 2 alternatives.

First, app frameworks. Something like Titanium Mobile will let you develop apps in a more graphical shell, and the environment will do all the back-end coding for you (the output is an app that works on both Android and iPhone, or even ). I’m having a lot more fun with that. There’s more of these that I haven’t tried (AppDesigner is one of them), so you may want to look into those.

Second, since a lot of us here are more into the front-end side of things (myself definitely included!), I’ve found web apps are a great stepping stone into the app developement direction. It’s really just a web site and not an actuall app, but with some specific iOS structure, front-end and UX methodology. Personally, I’ve done a lot with iWebKit — it’s not perfect but a great start to get into web apps.

Hope that helps a bit.

# December 29, 2011 at 2:35 pm

@Senff Why use C++? iOS development is done in Objective-C.
    And TheNewBoston tutorials are very good, though it would help to watch the many Objective-C tutorials before the iOS ones. It also means that you could develop for Mac as well as iOS.

# December 29, 2011 at 2:42 pm

@cyneWATCH: my mistake, Objective-C is what I meant of course! Thanks for pointing it out, editing my post now.

# April 15, 2013 at 4:50 am

Hi,

Go through the below links and you will get some ideas about the online development process courses. Many like these available in the net, but you have to choose the best one to proceed with.

For any kind of app development processes, visit http://innoppl.com/mobile-application-development, where you can find about the Innoppl mobile app developers Atlanta functionality and the projects they worked in and how to built basic apps at ease
    http://www.e-careers.com/app-developer-training/app-developer-training/iphone-android-apps-package
    http://news.stanford.edu/news/2011/november/itunes-apps-class-111511.html

http://unex.uci.edu/areas/it/mobile/

# April 15, 2013 at 10:23 am

I’ve dabbled a bit in C and Objective C (the languages you need to know), and the stuff that worked for me was the Apress Objective C books.
    http://www.apress.com/9781430245124
    That book specifically will allow you to start from scratch.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

*May or may not contain any actual "CSS" or "Tricks".