Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Other Installing Dropbox on Centos 6

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 93 total)
  • Author
    nixnerd
    Participant

One thing I can definitely understand is a move away from WordPress. Like you, after years of using it, I decided it was overkill for anything short of an online magazine. That was about the time my philosophy on computing in general changed… So I started looking for something different. I applaud you for finding something you like. Right now, I’m building mostly static sites, using Ghost as a blog platform on said sites. I don’t use a CMS in the most traditional sense. I thought about using Jekyll but ultimately decided I’d rather work with Node than Ruby. You should still try Git though. Coolest thing is the ability to endlessly mess around with zero fear of breaking anything. Second coolest thing is the collaboration that becomes possible.

nixnerd
    Participant

Oh and I love ghost for the split screen markdown editor. Super pimp.

chrisburton
    Participant

@Joe_Temp

Second coolest thing is the collaboration that becomes possible.

With my setup, it also allows collaboration. All I have to do is share it with someone.

Oh and I love ghost for the split screen markdown editor. Super pimp.

Screenshot?

nixnerd
    Participant

With my setup, it also allows collaboration. All I have to do is share it with someone.

Hey @chrisburton, I totally understand if you dig your setup. If that’s what makes you feel comfortable, than by all means use it.

I’m not sure if you know this or not, but git and Github in particular allow for much, much more robust tools than simply sharing a directory or collection of directories. Each person can tweak the code base however they want. They can change the code, write new code, create branches for experimental code, etc. That’s great… but what happens when you want to integrate all this back together? Well, a pull request is created. This allows you to compare the code everyone has written and mitigate issues before it’s all merged together. You can see class incongruencies, etc. BEFORE you bring it all together.

On top of that, Github has an amazing issue tracker. This allows you to keep track of all the changes that need to be made and classify them as bugs, enhancements or whatever else they might be. You can even assign a particular person to each item and make it part of a larger milestone.

Almost all of what I’ve just mentioned are features of Github and not necessarily git. However, these tools in tandom are totally a part to my workflow at this point. I couldn’t live without either.

Plus, version control is much different than hitting save and storing something. It takes a snapshot, evertime you commit. You can always go back to a previous state or even just jack one section of code from a previous state. There is literally no fear that I will ever break anything. If I want to try something crazy, I just create a branch called crazy and go to town.

I’d really recommend giving it a shot. But, I don’t want to complicate your process.

One of the most useful things you can do with Github is keep all your config files in one place. This is huge for the Linux people who constantly tweak their systems. Having version control on dotfiles is absolutely awesome. I can roll back changes on anything, anytime I want.

Gists are also awesome for bits of code you use constantly and want to have available anywhere. This is a feature I don’t use a ton but is quite handy when you need it.

chrisburton
    Participant

@joe_temp Of course. I’m not implying that the whole github (git?) thing isn’t useful. It certainly sounds like it is. If I was a full-time programmer I would definitely use it for sure. I do plan to use github to post my comment system for Kirby to track issues and for upgrading purposes.

nixnerd
    Participant

We’re actually pumping out a bunch of Ghost themes right now.

@TheDoc
    , I’ve got a question for you on Ghost themes… Can you please elaborate on what you think should be more robust? Are you missing having access to plugins or what? Are you having trouble themeing Ghost to look exactly like the sites they integrate into? Are you running Ghost on a subdirectory or subdomain? I’d really like to know, as I’m not super deep into Ghost themeing yet and I’m a little curious on how certain things are handled.

@chrisburton
    , I totally understand you wanting to keep it simple and I think that’s good. I know you’re in school right now, so you may not even really need version control for anything that you do. If you start doing a bunch of freelance work over the summer, you might want to give it some thought.

Otherwise, just use what you like.

nixnerd
    Participant

In an effort to avoid this thread turning into Ghost-only, I created a new topic

Good call. Sorry to jack this thread. Carry on.

chrisburton
    Participant

@Joe_Temp This is all for you:

I’m all setup (I think) for using git, of course, with the Tower app — I suck on the CL. However, this is what will determine if I continue to use it for everything:

Let’s say I have a project repository on Github and I want to be able to push things to my live server, is that possible with just a click of a button?

Edit: After searching around, I see I have to install stuff on my server, etc.

chrisburton
    Participant

@TheDoc That’s exactly what I want to do! The only thing I dislike is that the code is open. I can’t create a private repo without having to pay, which is fine but, that defeats the purpose of me not using DB for this instead. So what I’ll have to do is only setup parts that I don’t care to be viewed by the public.

Or wait, isn’t there a .gitignore thing you can do instead?

chrisburton
    Participant

@TheDoc I just received a free Micro plan from Github instead.

__
    Participant

Just use a different service! Bitbucket, for example, allows unlimited private repos.

Also, if you used git directly, on your server, they’d all be private. That’s what I normally do, though I know you want to use a GUI service for the convenience.

chrisburton
    Participant

Thanks for the tip, Adrian. The Micro plan allows me to have 5 private repos so I think this might just work.

__
    Participant

no problem. and github does offer a lot of convenience.

nixnerd
    Participant

Sorry I’m so late to the table on this. I’m just so f***ing glad you’re using Git. I’ve only been using it for roughly 6-8 months and wouldn’t dream of NOT using it. I get scared out of my mind when I don’t track a project with Git… so I track everything.

Actually, Git saved an entire project from going to hell on me just about 2 weeks ago!

nixnerd
    Participant

no problem. and github does offer a lot of convenience.

True. Git + Github hits a sweet spot of utility. It’s a match made in… well, on the internet.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 93 total)
  • The forum ‘Other’ is closed to new topics and replies.