Grow your CSS skills. Land your dream job.

inset shadow in ie9

• # December 17, 2012 at 1:47 am

Hello everyone,

please tell me there is any trick to run inset shadow (Ex: div{box-shadow:inset 0px 0px 7px #000}) in ie.

thanks in advance

# December 17, 2012 at 4:07 am

IE9 supports box-shadow (unprefixed). So:

div { box-shadow: inset 0 0 7px #000; }

# December 17, 2012 at 7:46 am

sorry vermaas , i could not understand what u said….
    :(

# December 17, 2012 at 7:49 am

@Vermass is basically letting you know that Internet Explorer 9 already allows an inset shadow.

I think your problem might have been that you wrote your code wrong as you don’t seem to end the `box-shadow` line in your example properly.

Try this;

div {
    box-shadow: inset 0 0 7px #000;
    }

[Open me in Internet Explorer 9](http://codepen.io/Watson90/pen/KfcFg “”)

# December 17, 2012 at 11:59 pm

ok…watson

# December 18, 2012 at 12:19 am

@Watson90 Just a heads up: you can actually leave off the last semicolon in a declaration block. With that being said, it’s bad practice and you shouldn’t do it (if you ever add anything to that block, and forget you left off the semicolon, you will have problems)!

# December 18, 2012 at 3:05 am

Ahh right I see. I don’t know why it wouldn’t have worked for the guy then as he did everything correct :/

# December 18, 2012 at 3:11 am

@Watson90 I’d say there was something else causing an issue that we weren’t privy to.

# December 18, 2012 at 3:24 am

Yeah, maybe his Markup was incorrect somewhere or it was making IE go into a previous version of itself, we’ll never know :)

# December 18, 2012 at 7:10 am

sorry guys,
    you are saying right watson that was ie8 by mistake i wrote it ie9 even i knew that ie9 support it.
    if you have any solution for ie8 then plz tell me.

thanks to all for paying attention

# December 18, 2012 at 7:42 am

Hmm I’m not too sure about support in IE8 obviously but their could be a hack that I don’t know about. Otherwise I think the only option would be to use a fallback image but that’s not very clean.

# December 18, 2012 at 8:50 am

@manojnaanak: You could try: http://css3pie.com/

But ask yourself the question: do you need support for IE8 for things like IE8?

# December 19, 2012 at 1:18 am

Hello Vermaas & Watson,

actually my boss said to me it should be done any how. I want to do with css after implement
    my Last option (IMAGE BACKGROUND)

:|

# September 10, 2013 at 10:52 am

Hello guys!

Seems, it is impossible to apply a filter to create a gradient at the same time with inset shadow in IE9 :( But! We can use :after element with instet shadow :D

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

*May or may not contain any actual "CSS" or "Tricks".