Grow your CSS skills. Land your dream job.

Information held in a contact form only when clicked from a certain link ….

• # July 27, 2012 at 12:58 pm

Hey!

So I have made a confirmation email where there is a button you can click to confirm your request, but I want it to take them to my websites contact form with some pre-filled information in the message box …

So, number 1: I do not know how to have the contact form on my website appear (since it is brought down by js) only from that link when the page is loaded

Number 2: Not sure how to have pre-filled in text on the contact form when click only from that link

Not sure if this is even possible … but any help in the matter would be appreciated!!!

Thanks!!!

# July 27, 2012 at 12:59 pm

oh, I forgot, here is the link to my website … http://josiahbphotography.hostei.com/

# July 27, 2012 at 1:19 pm

>> number 1: I do not know how to have the contact form
    >> on my website appear (since it is brought down by js)
    >> only from that link when the page is loaded

You have content on your site that can only be seen by users running javascript? Why? Change that and you’ll probably have a good idea of how to change problem number one. A handy hint — if javascript is what *hides* the content as well as what reveals it, then it is present by default. Then you just need a way to stop the javascript.

>> Number 2: Not sure how to have pre-filled in text on the
    >> contact form when click only from that link

Input forms have a default value set by the “value” attribute. Use it. You’ll need to generate a URL for each distinct user so you have a means of associating data with a URL. That isn’t hard, though. Use PHP to apply the logic.

# July 27, 2012 at 2:14 pm

Well I am pretty new to web development and this is only my first real website … what would be an example of where a user would not be running javascript?

Thanks for your advice

# July 27, 2012 at 3:18 pm

Well, for a first website you’ve done a good job.

It’s hard to give an example of where a user wouldn’t run javascript. Some people (not many) just don’t have it enabled, or use browsers that don’t run it. It may well be that those people aren’t your intended audience, but you might want to be sure that’s the case. Losing clients because they can’t access information that could be available to them isn’t ideal.

If you haven’t dabbled much with PHP, using a database and custom links for each user might be overkill. Other options would be encoding the user information in the URL and then processing it via PHP (easier than using a database) or possibly via javascript, if that’s something you are more comfortable with. If you go the javascript route, make sure that the links still take users to the contact page, but lacking the prefilled values.

One final thing I would add for your specific request is that it seems like what you are saying you want your clients to do is:

1) Sign up for your product/service.
    2) Click on a link in an email that takes them to a separate form.
    3) Fill in any uncompleted information in the form and submit it.

Why not just get users to send a reply email with the needed information? Sending users through seemingly unrelated systems in order to sign up comes across as impersonal. Replying by email shows that a real person is reading their responses and makes clients more engaged with your business.

# July 27, 2012 at 3:22 pm

One final thing — disabling right click while asking for help in coding is a little frustrating. Also, bear in mind that it doesn’t protect your content in any way. In firefox, Ctrl+U brings up page source, as does selecting it from the developer tools menu.

# July 27, 2012 at 3:44 pm

Thank you very much for all your advice and help … this is what I had in mind to happen … https://us5.admin.mailchimp.com/templates/preview-template?id=24889 … click on the confirm button and it takes you to your default email server with pre-incerted information and then you send the message … that is exactly what I wanted to happen but just on my website through my contact form (I just thought it would look more professional)

I am sorry about not taking off the disabled-right click … I just thought for the people that I would be dealing with would (for the most part) have no idea how to go into the page source and save one of my images …

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

*May or may not contain any actual "CSS" or "Tricks".