Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Back End Image with special characters not displaying after move

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    papdronning
    Participant

I move the WP Blog at marensblog.dk to a different server. Turns out the user has been posting images using special characters (æ ø å) in the filenames (yes, I know. She really shouldn’t have). And now all images that had a filename containing æ ø or å don’t display. They are on the server where they should be, but when i moves the files via FTP the special characters weren’t “translated”.

Does anyone have an idea to a semi-quick fix for this?

__
    Participant

They are on the server where they should be, but when i moves the files via FTP the special characters weren’t “translated”.

If they weren’t “translated,” then what happened to them?

Does anyone have an idea to a semi-quick fix for this?

How many files are you talking about? Obviously, you’re going to have to rename them (or figure out the encoding issue—I’m guessing one system (or both) servers don’t use UTF8*).

Whether it’s worth writing a script to do this depends on the number of files and whether or not you want to a) restore the original filenames b) use any readable filename c) don’t care what the filename is.

Either way…probably not a “quick” fix.

If you still have the original files, you might be able to determine their encoding and convert it before moving (or even after). But that’s not something I could walk you through over the internet. : (

* which is stupid. no excuse. slap the sysadmin.

papdronning
    Participant

Well, I don’t actually know what happend, but something “broke” when the images were moved via FTP. Everything worked before. Even though the image files had ø æ å ind their names.

Loads of images. Loads.

Here’s an example of the issue: http://marensblog.dk/boger-jeg-kan-lide/

The image at the bottom. Right now there just a link that says “bøsse”. It should be an image. In the html it calls this adress:

http://marensblog.dk/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/bøsse.png

This image excists and is placed where it should be.

But if I right click and ask for image details it says the adress is:

http://marensblog.dk/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/b%C3%B8sse.png

And therefore nothing is displayed. If I just change ø to o in the html and in the filename vi ftp. The image is displayed. So it’s definently in the right place. It’s the ø creating the issue.

__
    Participant

A quick search shows similar problems coming up with WordPress. Did you switch versions when you moved servers? or did you use a migration tool? Unfortunately, the examples I found did not include a solution, but basically stemmed from “cleanup” tools that were intended to prevent this sort of problem… but apparently no one considered the issue of existing files.

Have you looked at your database, and do the filenames appear correctly there?

Beyond that, I’m afraid you’ll need someone with a deeper WP knowledge than I.

papdronning
    Participant

Both servers use UTF8

The database is HUGE and I had to use myphpdumper to extract it. But that shouldn’t do it. I did update WordPress during the move, but not before the content had also been moved.

chrisburton
    Participant

Both servers use UTF8

What about the database table(s)?

Have you tried url encoding before images are inserted into the database?

__
    Participant

What about the database table(s)?

and the database connection?

lapassold
    Participant

Hello! I am having the exact same problem. Have you managed to fix your problem?

For example: http://portalarquitetonico.com.br/como-projetar-escadas-tutorial/

You will see a broken image in the middle of the text called Pé-direito.jpg. The image is uploaded with the exact name on right folder but it is not appearing.

Please help me, I just changed the server of my website and it took me a lot of years to build this image material =/

Thank you.

__
    Participant

@lapassold

You should start a new discussion for your problem, rather than trying to bring back this one after being abandoned for almost a year.

As for your question, all of the same answers you’ve read here will apply. You need to start by making sure your encodings are consistent, and comparing your current database records with how they appeared before you moved.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • The forum ‘Back End’ is closed to new topics and replies.