Grow your CSS skills. Land your dream job.

I'm in love with Neue Helvetica… please help.

• NIX
    # August 16, 2013 at 11:01 am

So, I LOVE Neue Helvetica. Like a lot. For me, nothing else even comes close. It is one of the most aesthetically pleasing things I’ve ever seen. The problem is… I’m in love with the whole family! They are like 55 hot sisters and I want to marry them all. But, alas, the price is too steep.

Check out this link: http://www.linotype.com/1266/neuehelvetica-family.html

Is there any other way? A cheaper way perhaps? I want to be able to use Neue Helvetica whenever I want online… but how?

NIX
    # August 16, 2013 at 11:04 am

To make matters worse… Linotype limits the number of page views! You can only license the font for a certain number of visitors! WHAT?!?!?!

Linotype is the most cruel father in-law I’ve ever heard of.

NIX
    # August 16, 2013 at 11:09 am

This seems a bit more reasonable:

http://www.myfonts.com/fonts/linotype/neue-helvetica/

Don’t really know the difference.

# August 18, 2013 at 7:50 pm

Is this real life?

# August 18, 2013 at 8:35 pm

Or is this just fantasy?

# August 19, 2013 at 2:04 am

omg, where is the like button?

NIX
    # August 19, 2013 at 10:23 am

Guys, what I’m saying is… I can’t live without this font. But HOLY **** it’s expensive.

What are my options here?

# August 19, 2013 at 10:26 am

Simply…pay it or get over it!

LOL…sorry but either you like it THAT much or you don’t.

Whether there are reasonably priced typefaces that are close…I dunno.

NIX
    # August 19, 2013 at 10:30 am

Alas, @Paulie_D… you have reiterated the universal laws of supply and demand. Just once, I’d like to find a loophole.

NIX
    # August 19, 2013 at 10:31 am

On another note, I have no idea how these people track page views… that part I THINK is done on the honor system.

# August 19, 2013 at 1:19 pm

Well, what are you going to be doing with Neue Helvetica? Strictly web use or print also?

# August 19, 2013 at 3:30 pm

Depends what you’re using it for. A web application to benefit from that will outweigh the costs?

If so, pay for it. Same if you’re doing print.

Or if you are wanting to use it strictly for personal use/blogs, simply fall out of love with Neue Helvetica and choose a free alternative.

omg, where is the like button?

+1, good Sir.

# August 20, 2013 at 6:14 am

Choose Arial as a free alternative (sarcasm).

# August 20, 2013 at 6:39 am

A lot of users (more than you may think) actually have Helvetica Neue installed on their system, and almost all OSX users do. This works pretty damn well for most of it, using some @font-face trickery with src: local (can) take care of a little more.

For everything else there is Mastercard. I mean backup fonts on the fontstack.

# August 20, 2013 at 7:52 am

Just because it’s on your computer doesn’t mean you can use @font-face. Check the EULA, first.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 52 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

*May or may not contain any actual "CSS" or "Tricks".