Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Other Illustrator file

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    vincent

I just started using Illustrator. I made a logo that looks all clean and stuff, but no matter what format I save it in, it looks like shit.

What format do you guys save these kinds of images in? Like a logo that’s going to go on a website…

You may want to post one of the files so we can see. The usual file types that you’ll find are .png, .jpg or .png.

Have you thought about importing the illustrator file into Photoshop and using Photoshop to resize/save it?

Rob MacKay
    Participant
    "vincent" wrote:
    I just started using Illustrator. I made a logo that looks all clean and stuff, but no matter what format I save it in, it looks like shit.

What format do you guys save these kinds of images in? Like a logo that’s going to go on a website…

OK first off illustrators default format is *.ai – as you probably know. You can save it as a PDF and keep its wonderful vectorness too.

If you want to save it as a jpg, gif or png for web use the "Save for web" option, then everything will be ok.

What I would normally do is save for web, then optimise in Fireworks as I find it a better program to get the most out of your file size, compared to PS and Il.

vincent

Sorry I wasn’t more clear before. Here’s the quick logo I was playing around with. [img]http://img249.imageshack.us/img249/8551/screenshotpih.png[/img]
    Top is the .ai, bottom is the .png

Yeah, I wish there was a way to make it look like it does in Illustrator, but in a format a logo on a website can be, even if the file size is bigger. What format would give me the closest quality to the Illustrator file? It’s mainly going to be for web.

vincent

Actually, I tried opening the .ai file in PS and then saved it as a .png and now it looks fine :D!!!

Thanks guys

vincent

I think the problem was that I made the .ai file with 300 resolution :o But now I’m kind of screwed because when I open it with PS it’s like 1700px long, and if I try to scale it down it starts to get distorted. Is there a way to change the resolution of the .ai file in Illustrator, or should I just start a new one.

gem45
    Quote:
    Chances are, unless you specifically made something in raster, anything you built in illustrator is vector format. Vector basically means that it’s built by formulas and equations to determine the size and shape, so it can grow to any size without compromising the resolution.

When you cross over from vector to raster (in this case web) the way you save it can make a difference and you can see the fruit of it. And you saw that you can just cut/paste it into Photoshop and it saved fine because PS is a raster based graphics program with only a few vector capabilities.

That’s mainly the reason why if you are only dealing with the web, building it in PS when you are kind of new to all this software will make things much smoother

Yeah, I agree. It always matter in the way you are saving it.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • The forum ‘Other’ is closed to new topics and replies.