Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Other IE9 – Your opinion

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    jamygolden

I was looking at these stats and wondering what IE9 would do to them. Will IE in general carry on with the downfall, will it hold the ground or will it make some progress for a change? What do you guys think?

sliver37

In my opinion IE9 is definitely a huge step in the right direction!

That being said, I don’t think I’ll be using it as my main browser anytime soon, it still feels “clunky” to me. I do like the way they are finally trying to catch up with some of the todays standards, instead of floating stagnant and requiring JavaScript hacks left and right.

Hardware acceleration is definitely looking cool, IE9 has at least pushed other browsers to move faster in that direction (Firefox 4).

Almost all my clients (thus far) use a variant of IE, except the ones I have converted to chrome :D

At least if they insist on sticking with IE, once they upgrade to IE9 I’ll have much more freedom using CSS3 everywhere.

presswollz

seriously I don’t like IE9 … I would still prefer using the older version… when i was searching for pressurized walls Manhattan in IE9 and clicked on the website… it crashed for no reason …

jamygolden

I don’t think the crashing will be a problem when the official version is released.

I wonder how many people will start using IE9 as their main browser – I think the IE usage will definitely increase once it’s been released. I hope Microsoft does updates and improves the HTML5 support, CSS3 selectors, etc.

IE9 isn’t supported by WinXP, which is kind of annoying.

I’m using Firefox4beta9 atm and I think it’s really cool.

TheDoc

I have switched all of my computers over to using Chrome as their default.

I’m happy about IE9, but only from a Developer’s standpoint, I’ll never use it on a personal level.

jamygolden

Check this out in firefox, chrome and safari:
    http://www.greenlove.co.za/pages/Testimonials.html

The images look jagged (I’m using -moz/webkit-transform) in Chrome, but good in firefox and safari.

I like Chrome because it’s updated so often and it’s fast.

The firefox search functionality in the URL area is unmatched (From what I’ve seen). I can find any website immediately with as little as 2 characters.
    This url ‘https://css-tricks.com/forums/discussion/10489/ie9-your-opinion/’ can be found by typing ‘ie9 op’, ‘tricks ie9’, ‘9-y’, etc. It’s amazingly useful – For me. Also firefox has firebug – The chrome version doesn’t do it for me.

If it wasn’t for firebug, web-dev tools and Mozilla being awesome, I would switch to Chrome, however with Firefox4 on the verge of coming out, I’ll definitely be sticking with it.

TT_Mark

IE9 takes ages to load for me and keeps asking me if I want to speed up launching by disabling add-ons…none of which I installed myself…

The people that will upgrade are those that have the choice to upgrade. The reason we’re stuck with IE6 is generalyl due to lazy Organisations who cannot be bothered to upgrade people as it will break their intranet

jamygolden

I haven’t had a speed problem with Ie9 yet.

I like how F11 (fullscreen) on Chrome is FULL SCREEN. Would definitely be cool for a full-page-javascript-slider or something.

eliot_ness

I built a site for a friend about a year ago with a themeforest template, and it naturally worked fine in all the browsers at the time. It still works fine in all the current browsers, except IE 9, which breaks it badly.

A client would expect to get a site that works in all the browsers at the time of creation. My question is, how responsible should a designer/developer be for the website working in as yet un-released browsers in the future?

On the one hand I don’t want to create bad blood with a client by charging to fix it, but on the other hand I don’t want to be expected to do freebie upgrades endlessly into the future.

TheDoc

You can’t be expected to predict the future. You are not responsible for a website working in any browser outside of your contract.

TT_Mark

@eliot_ness

I’m guessing the site has an IE conditional stylesheet which is causing it to break as most websites look the same, cross-browser, in the latest versions if the coding is done properly

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • The forum ‘Other’ is closed to new topics and replies.