Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums CSS IE8 Not Recognising HTML5 (even with shiv)

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    tommaitland

Hi all,

This is one of those really annoying posts where they may be an easy solution, but I’ve trawled through forums and tried 100 different things and had no luck.

IE 8 isn’t applying CSS styles to HTML5 tags on a site I’ve just launched. In the past I’ve always fixed this with a shiv and/or code like:

But for this site it doesn’t do anything, IE8 still doesn’t recognise the styles. The website is http://www.unyouth.org.au/.

Does anyone have any ideas why this is happening? Any help would be amazing.

Thanks so much!

Paulie_D

As far as I know, the only script you need is

There is no need to add it if it’s not required so it should be inside a conditional statement.

tommaitland

Thanks for the reply!

Yeah I had it in the conditional originally, and just moved it back in but even with it in it still doesn’t apply. I was using a self-hosted shiv before too and chucked in some alerts at the start and end to see if was running and it was. It seems like the shiv is there but not working for some other reason?

So bogged :S

Senff
    Participant

Dunno, looks like the HTML5 elements are rendered properly. The styles for HEADER are applied, but for ASIDE it looks like there’s something else wrong. Weird.

tommaitland

Ended up figuring this out – it was a SVG object that broke all the styles below it. Weird. I thought IE would just ignore the SVG if it couldn’t render it.

Thanks for your help!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • The forum ‘CSS’ is closed to new topics and replies.