Grow your CSS skills. Land your dream job.

IE10 – What do you think of it?

• # November 19, 2012 at 2:13 pm

Hey

I have just this minute installed Windows 8 and now giving Internet Explorer 10 a go. First impressions are that it’s really nice! I think they’ve made a bunch of improvements from IE9 (Obviously these “improvements” have been included in other major browsers for a long time already before IE10) such as being able to render box-shadow effectively etc.

What are your thoughts guys?

# November 19, 2012 at 3:12 pm

Meh…I’m so over IE.

Sure it can now render more stuff than IE9 but it’ll stay lagging behind FF & Chrome unless MS can suddenly ramp up their update schedule…which I doubt.

Visually, it’s almost indistinguishable from IE9 and I think they missed a trick there.

# November 19, 2012 at 3:17 pm

I think ms has got it wrong thinking people want a desktop touch screen, e-whiteboard yah, tablets & phones yah, desktop nah. But thats an aside, IE 10 its another browser in the myriad of browsers today, with an engine that supports more of the widely available bells and whistles of css & html.

But its the uptake of IE10 that will be the defining factor.

# November 19, 2012 at 3:28 pm

Yeah I see what you guys mean, I definitely agree that it will ALWAYS lag behind the rest of the current trendsetters. What is the reason behind IE and it’s crappy developments?

Is it due to Microsoft’s Developers? Money? What?

# November 19, 2012 at 3:33 pm

For my own part, I suspect it’s due to the somewhat monolithic nature of MS itself.

Implementing these new features is probably pretty easy (he said knowing nothing about it) but getting them approved to be incorporated into regular builds is probably a lot harder.

Chrome & FF (and others i suspect) have their various build channels but even these seem to roll out new versions every couple of weeks.

I remain unconvinced that MS has the willingness & /or ability to do that.

# November 19, 2012 at 4:04 pm

I’d probably say a big part of it is actually user awareness or lack thereoff people don’t know they need to update their browsers or choose another one, hence why old versions of IE were still prevalent, as people often stuck with the default browser that came with their install, evidence of this is the dramatic drop off of IE6 and IE7 and the decline of IE8 since when i think MS started pushing browser updates as important in windows updates.

IE9 was the browser that really brought things into line with the mainstream, and tbh I think any variation in IE9 or its successors are just going to your run of the mil browser differences.

# December 10, 2012 at 8:50 pm

IE10 is actually a pretty good modern web browser. Its CSS support is particularly good. It has all the recent CSS features we rely on in other browsers, such as gradients, CSS transitions, 2d and 3d transforms, animations, Multi-column etc, and they are all now unprefixed. Flexbox is also supported and needs a prefix, as the syntax changed after Microsoft implemented it. It is also the only browser AFAICT that fully supports CSS 2.1.

It also has great support for a lot of the more experimental or newer specs, such as @viewport (CSS version of viewport meta, only supported by Opera and IE), Grid Layout (only IE so far), Regions (IE and disabled by default in Chrome), and Exclusions (IE and nightly webkit builds).

Like most other browsers, it has complete support for ES5 (latest version of JavaScript), and they support some interesting new specs such as Performance Timeline and Resource Timing from the Web Performance group, which are not yet in other browsers: http://blog.trasatti.it/2012/12/measuring-the-speed-of-resource-loading-with-javascript-and-html5.html

So, from a developer’s viewpoint there is a lot of new toys to play with and most gaps in standards support have been plugged, bar a couple of exceptions. But, most browsers lack some features that developers want.

# December 11, 2012 at 1:00 am

The Developer Tools are unchanged from IE9. If you’ve tried to use these, you’ll know how bad it is – This was the one thing I was looking forward to being fixed in IE10… ’nuff said.

Edit:
    @dstorey IE10 doesn’t support (and it looks like won’t in future) support webGL. http://caniuse.com/webgl

# December 11, 2012 at 2:56 am

Sadly, I couldn’t test it yet, but from what I’ve read about IE10, it’s actually a very good browser. And for now, IE10 is the lead concerning security if no mistake.

The question is not “is IE10 a good browser?” but “how long will it be?”.

# December 11, 2012 at 3:43 am

IE have been known to mislead everyone about what they can do. I’ve literally seen them claim that IE10 is the only browser that supports CSS3 gradients. The fine print said “prefix free”. There was this giant table with browser logos, and all had like 10 rows of crosses, except for IE which had 10 rows of ticks. I can’t even respect a company that does that.

# December 11, 2012 at 8:48 pm

talking css, then so far i’m very happy that i can concentrate on other issues than ‘worrying about IE’. conditional comments for older IE == no problemas. it feels like an important step that IE10 behaves more like the ‘others’. good start. keep it rolling.

# December 11, 2012 at 9:53 pm

I love the fact that it supports so much more and that it’s not a big stumbling block for developers anymore (“ok, it works everywhere, now let’s see how it is in IE” is pretty much in the past…although I never minded that much).

But I still prefer the developer tools of Chrome. Not because that’s so much better, but simply because I’m so used to it.

I guess the biggest hurdle IE has to overcome is the terrible reputation it has amongst developers, and that’s why it’ll be a tough road to catch up with the other browsers.

# December 12, 2012 at 3:24 am

@Senff the IE developer tools are useful when trying to find a weird problem while in IE7 mode or something. For some or other reason, IE developer tools doesn’t inspect the DOM, it inspects the HTML. So yes you can add styles do a div, but you can’t inspect an element that was added via javascript. So that pretty much means no inspecting sliders/modals/any js component.

I don’t mind developing for IE at all, I just get annoyed that I allow myself to think they will ever change.

# December 12, 2012 at 8:28 am

@HugoGiraudel I’m not sure if it was the leading browser in security, but I’m sure it’s not if you include this :p http://spider.io/blog/2012/12/internet-explorer-data-leakage/

# December 12, 2012 at 8:35 am

@jamy_za just use firebug in ie

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

*May or may not contain any actual "CSS" or "Tricks".