Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Other I have 8 header.php variations in WordPress. I must be doing something wrong.

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    xefned

Every time I create a new page template in WordPress – for example category-news.php, or single-portfolio.php, I duplicate my header.php to call custom javascript libraries that won’t be used elsewhere on the site.

so in category-news.php, I call my header like this: get_header(news);
    and in single-portfolio.php, I call my header like so: get_header(portfolio);

Then I create header-news.php and header-portfolio.php in which 85% of the code is the same. Now when I want to make a single change to my header, I have to change it in multiple files. It seems like I MUST be doing something wrong.

Is there a way to *extend* my header to keep “all the basics” + these two jquery plugins for a given post template?

Thanks for any advice. A google search is making me feel like I’m the only person in the world who has this problem so I must be missing something obvious, Thank, Matth

standuncan

Hmm… off the top of my head php variables is one way. An example:

header.php

single-portfolio.php (at top of document)

'; ?>

category-news.php (at top of document)

'; ?>

xefned

Genius! Thanks Stan.
    That’s exactly what I’m going to do. Thanks for the help.

standuncan

There’s probably other ways as well, but that’s all I can think of right now though…

TheDoc

I never, ever, ever have more than one header.php file.

In my header.php I’ll do things like this:

if ( is_page() ) {
    // do something
    }
    ?>

It’s all about the conditionals. Here are all of the different ones you can use (there are a lot!): http://codex.wordpress.org/Conditional_Tags

In your specific case, I would do something like this:

if ( is_page_template( 'category-news.php' ) ) {
    // load your specific scripts
    }
    ?>
    standuncan

@TheDoc, are those WP specific?

TheDoc

Yup!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • The forum ‘Other’ is closed to new topics and replies.