Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Other I got DDOSed; is it appropriate to blog about it?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    RedStar
    Participant

Two nights ago, one of the sites I host was taken down by my hosting company for hogging resources (gotta love shared hosting). After a bit of investigating and back and forth, we determined that it was getting hammered by the same IP Addressed from Beijing. The host blocked the IP, and I got my site back.

So here’s the question: I want to do a blog about this as a sort of cathartic rant, and to explain why the site was offline for six hours, however I’m not sure if that’s a good idea. Is telling people you got attacked an invitation to getting attacked again?

qaximor

In my opinion blogging about it won’t harm. I mean is your site targeted by certain group of people? From what I understood you are targeted from China. Any reasons behind it? Maybe your website content. If you want my opinion I’d say blog about it tell your website followers so they would know what happened and if it may happen in the future

RedStar
    Participant

I honestly can’t think of any reason why it would be targeted. It’s a completely non-political webcomic. It’s just a silly little side project I do for fun.

Thanks for the feedback, qaximor.

Chris Coyier
    Keymaster

I think if you learned something worth sharing it’s a good idea to blog about it. If it’s cathartic only, perhaps a diary =)

RedStar
    Participant

So teaching is cool, but bitching should probably be kept to myself? Yeah, that’s probably a good idea.

darrylm

“So teaching is cool, but bitching should probably be kept to myself?”

Probably a nice rule of thumb for life

chrisburton
    Participant

> If it’s cathartic only, perhaps a diary =)

Hilarious.

But I agree with Chris. I mean, what is the point of ranting about something that doesn’t benefit the reader?

RedStar
    Participant

Oh he’s most definitely correct.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • The forum ‘Other’ is closed to new topics and replies.