Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Other I am thinking of starting a blog …

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    akurtula
    Participant

Hi

I am at a point where I finished university and find it a bit hard to find a job. As all of you I love web design and keep on working on it, learning new things every day. I am not a pro at web design and development and I think there must be a lot of things that I don’t know that might be considered the basics.

I been thinking that I might be a good idea to start blogging. It would be contain ‘web tutorials for TOTAL beginners’. the ‘secret’ reason I want to do this is because I want to learn new techniques and use the blog as a journal.

I want to ask,
    A: Do you think it is a good idea for me (maybe of an overall intermediate level of understanding) to start a tutorial based blog?

B: I would be using wordpress for this, would it be ok if I just find a free wordpress theme, instead of creating my own. I can and I have created wordpress themes but somehow the free blog themes I found seems to have the typography better designed as it is easier to read.

C: I have a domain name in my name aurelkurtula.co.uk, should I try and come up with a new name or can I use my name and the existing domain?

Thanks

Thadley
    Participant

I don’t see why it would be such a bad idea! I also recently just graduated and am basically in the same boat as you, so your not alone :)

I think that making a blog will somewhat make you focus more on learning new things and then writing about them in your blog for other people to read. Not only that but it can also help to keep you up to date on stuff.

In regards to using one of wordpress’ themes, I don’t think it is that bad of an idea but since your a web designer and developer, I would say try and create your own custom theme that way you can practice your design skills as well as your coding skills. It all comes in time and the more you do it, the more stuff you get better at!

Have you created a personal portfolio website for yourself yet? What you could do is create one and implement a blog in there as well so you kill two birds with one stone! It’s a good idea! :D

Let me know how it goes man!

akurtula
    Participant

Thanks Thadley, That is exactly why I want to blog, to keep me more motivated to learn and research new things.

the theme is no longer an issue, I created a themes (similar to what you described) but at the time I wrote this I completely forgot about it. it needs some retouching on typography and that’s it.
    – The blog is the main theme and then I have a second theme which works as a portfolio and with the use of ‘Page Theme’ plugin I made them work together (can’t believe I forgot about this)

The thing that I need some advice on now is whether it would be fine if I use my name (aurelkurtula.co.uk) as the blogs name or something like blog.aurelkurtula.co.uk and then aurelkurtula.co.uk for the portfolio

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • The forum ‘Other’ is closed to new topics and replies.