Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Other HTML5 Audio element not working in Firefox.

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Preeminent
    Participant

Ok all,
    I’m about to pull my hair out on this! I cannot get the simple html5 AUDIO element to work in firefox! Upon page load, you see the player appear and then it disappears to a black box with an X in it. I have the needed .ogg file on the server. I have the file linked to:

I have tried adding this

# OGG
    AddType application/ogg .ogg

into an .htaccess file and I’ve tried all different variations in the .htaccess file too. I’ve tried “AddType audio/ogg .ogg”, I’ve tried “AddType application/audio/ogg .ogg”, I’ve tried “AddType audio/ogg” without the extension, etc etc. The mp3 file works perfect on Safari and Chrome. What else can I try? Does it seem like it’s a server issue? Do I need to add more to the .htaccess file? The site is on a shared 1and1 server. Thanks in advance for any suggestions you might have!

MsFjordstone

Hey, Preeminent, thank you SO much for posting this problem and your entire process up through the solution. I had the same problem, and was really frustrated that such a simple tag wasn’t working as it should with Firefox. But my client was on a Linux server, so it obviously wasn’t the MIME issue, but I went right for the .htaccess solution, and that did the trick. A million thanks!

Preeminent
    Participant

@MsFjordstone Awesome! I’m glad that someone found this useful. I had that feeling that others might run into the same issue.

learn4fun

Thank you so much! I spent two days trying to figure out why my audio would not work in Firefox when it had worked all along. My web host just upgraded my site to a new platform and the .ogg MIME type was not supported. I added it to the .htaccess file as a supported format. Works now like a charm. Thanks again. Blessings to you.

Preeminent
    Participant

Awesome! Glad I can give back to the community in my own little way, haha!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • The forum ‘Other’ is closed to new topics and replies.