Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums CSS HTML Image Maps…

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    michaelwhyte
    Participant

I teach web design…and I like image maps…they are easy and fun…but wonder are they kind of out of date…is their a better alternative…should I not even show this old technology…and if not is there another solution that does not use JavaScript…

Also if it is no longer used…could I ask why not? Is it because of some accessibility issue….FYI I would never use this for a nav menu…mainly to just create an interactive map…

All feedback is greatly appreciated…

Michael

tomrogers123

I think the main issue with using image maps for anything is that it doesn’t tend to lend itself to good semantics. Yes, I know you can give each of the different areas an `alt` attribute but I feel that this is no substitute for carefully choosing which element should represent each entity on a page (`area` just feels a little too generic for my liking and reminds me of the same kind of principals as table based layout). Furthermore, as the web gets on to more and more devices that come with new input methods being so specific about selectable areas may be risky.

To me, the approach just seams archaic. I’d even go as far as to see I’m very surprised that the technology even still exists in HTML5 although maybe someone can enlighten me on that!

Long story short, I just find the whole philosophy incredibly backward.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • The forum ‘CSS’ is closed to new topics and replies.